A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, January 25, 2010

Movie Madness Monday 140: Paprikash edition

It's Monday, some of us are feeling beat up and beat down, so Ms. Cornelius is going to refer to herself in the third person. Like the Queen. Or Richard Nixon. Consider those two things together while I supply you with a new edition of MMM. Remember, place your quotes from the movie in the comments section. Love ya!

"I have it all figured out. It's an eighteen hour trip which breaks down into six shifts of three hours each or alternatively we could break it down by mileage."

"The story of my life isn't even going to get us out of Chicago I mean nothing's happened to me yet. That's why I'm going to New York."
"So something can happen to you?"
"Yes."
"Like what?"
"I can go into journalism school to become a reporter."
"So you can write about things that happen to other people."
"That's one way to look at it."
"Suppose nothing happens to you. Suppose you lived out your whole life and nothing happens you never meet anybody you never become anything and finally you die in one of those New York deaths which nobody notices for two weeks until the smell drifts into the hallway."

"Don't you have a dark side? No you're probably one of those cheerful people who dots their eyes with little hearts."

"I don't want to spend the rest of my life in Casablanca married to a man who runs a bar. I probably sound very snobbish to you but I don't."
"You'd rather be in a passionless marriage."
"And be the first lady of Czechoslovakia."
"Than live with the man you've had the greatest sex of you life with, and just because he owns a bar and that is all he does."
"Yes. And so had any woman in her right mind-- women are very practical, even Ingrid Bergman-- which is why she gets on the plane at the end of the movie."

"We are just going to be friends, ok?
"Great! Friends! It's the best thing."
[Pause]
"You realise of course that we can never be friends."
"Why not?"
"What I'm saying is... and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form, is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

Weekend Update: Ordering a sandwich at a deli was never the same after we all agreed with Rob Riener's mother in

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY!

Nora Ephron's sparkling dialogue at its very best! Billy Chrystal and Meg Ryan as the perfect odd couple! If you have not seen this you have much to learn about movies... and women.

Thanks for playing!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 1/25/10, 5:24 AM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Well, you got me. It sounds a little like Seinfeld, but I don't reckon they've made a movie yet.

 
At 1/25/10, 7:27 AM, Blogger leesepea said...

Are you kidding? I knew just from the inclusion of "paprikash" in the post title! Of course, all the good quotes are in the post... Except for my fave:

"I'll have what she's having."

*Wink*

 
At 1/25/10, 11:48 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

One of my all-time favorites! Of all time! ALL TIME!

Love your title, too.

 
At 1/25/10, 12:18 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Leesepea, I didn't even have to read the body of the post - I knew from the title, too!

"You're right, you're right; I know you're right."

"Baby FISH MOUTH?!"

"when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

 
At 1/25/10, 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND I'M GONNA BE FORTY!
When?
Someday!

 
At 1/25/10, 8:04 PM, Blogger Ms Characterized said...

"He had a t-shirt on that said 'Don't fuck with Mr. Zero.'"

"Mr. Zero knew your wife was leaving you before you did?"

"Mr. Zero knew."

 
At 1/25/10, 8:48 PM, Blogger jmeiklejohn said...

Oh, great movie!

"The fact that you're not answering leads me to believe you're either (a) not at home, (b) home but don't want to talk to me, or (c) home, desperately want to talk to me, but trapped under something heavy. If it's either (a) or (c), please call me back."

 
At 1/25/10, 10:01 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

No clue. But, I'd guess that John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Jean Claude VanDamme, or Cheech and Chong are NOT in this flick.....or that anyone firing a phaser or spacecraft.....

 
At 1/26/10, 1:22 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

But I'd be proud to partake of your pecan piiiie.

 
At 1/27/10, 9:27 PM, Anonymous Ms. Cornelius said...

There is NO WAY I took all the best quotes. F'r instance:

"You know, I'm so glad I never got involved with you. I just would've
ended up being some woman you had to get up out of bed and leave at three o'clock in the morning and clean your andirons, and you don't even have a fireplace. Not that I would know this."

"Why are you getting so upset? This is not about you."

"Yes it is. You are a human affront to all women and I am a woman."

OR
"How much worse can it get than finishing dinner having him reaching
over pull a hair out of my head and starts flossing with it at the table?"

OR
"At that moment I knew. I knew the way you know about a good melon."

I throw down the challenge. And Janie, you didn't include a quote either of the last two times! Polski, you have GOT to see this one.

 
At 1/27/10, 9:50 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

OR

"You made a woman meow??!!"

And NYC needs to see this too. Although it would have been hilarious to see The Duke as the male lead in this flick.

 
At 1/29/10, 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity. It's just a symptom
that something else is wrong."

"Oh really? Well that symptom is ----ing my WIFE!"

 
At 1/29/10, 4:16 PM, Anonymous Your husband said...

"I love that you get cold when it's seventy one degrees out, I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich, I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, I love that after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes and I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Years Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the life to start as soon as possible!"

"You see, that is JUST LIKE YOU, Harry. You say things like that and you make it impossible for me to hate you. And I hate you Harry! I really hate you. I hate you."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics