A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, February 22, 2010

Movie Madness Monday 144: Joy and sorrow edition

This week's Movie Madness Monday comes on the heels of a shocking death of a friend who loved to laugh, and I know she loved this movie. So put your quotes in the comments section while I try to laugh through my tears.

"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.
Let the aeroplanes circle, moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'.
Put crepe bows 'round the white necks of the public doves,
Let traffic policemen wear black, cotton gloves.
He was my North, my South, my East, and West.
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong."

"I would just like to say this. I am, as ever, in bewildered awe of anyone who makes this kind of commitment that Angus and Laura have made today. I know I couldn't do it and I think it's wonderful they can. So, back to Angus and those sheep."

"How do you do, my name is Charles."
"Don't be ridiculous, Charles died 20 years ago!"
"Must be a different Charles, I think."
"Are you telling me I don't know my own brother!"
"No, no...."

"I always just hoped that, that I'd meet some nice friendly girl, like the look of her, hope the look of me didn't make her physically sick, then pop the question and... um... settle down and be happy. It worked for my parents. Well, apart from the divorce and all that!”

"Where's Gareth?"
"Torturing Americans."
"How thoughtful of him."

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spigot. Err--Spirit!"



**** Weekend Update:

FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL

One of the greatest scenes ever. And one of my favorite movies ever.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 2/22/10, 3:18 PM, Blogger Dr. Bad Ass said...

"There's a greatness to your lateness."

 
At 2/22/10, 6:04 PM, Blogger Meanwhile, I keep dancing said...

"Gareth used to prefer funerals to weddings. He said it was easier to get enthusiastic about a ceremony one had an outside chance of eventually being involved in. In order to prepare this speech, I rang a few people, to get a general picture of how Gareth was regarded by those who met him. Fat seems to have been a word people most connected with him. Terribly rude also rang a lot of bells. So very fat and very rude seems to have been a stranger's viewpoint. On the other hand, some of you have been kind enough to ring me and let me know that you loved him, which I know he would have been thrilled to hear. You remember his fabulous hospitality, his strange experimental cooking. The recipe for "Duck à la Banana" fortunately goes with him to his grave. Most of all, you tell me of his enormous capacity for joy. When joyful, when joyful for highly vocal drunkenness. But I hope joyful is how you will remember him. Not stuck in a box in a church."

"Excuse me. I think I had better be where other people are not. "

"Ehm, look. Sorry, sorry. I just, ehm, well, this is a very stupid question and... , particularly in view of our recent shopping excursion, but I just wondered, by any chance, ehm, eh, I mean obviously not because I guess I've only slept with 9 people, but-but I-I just wondered... ehh. I really feel, ehh, in short, to recap it slightly in a clearer version, eh, the words of David Cassidy in fact, eh, while he was still with the Partridge family, eh, "I think I love you," and eh, I-I just wondered by any chance you wouldn't like to... Eh... Eh... No, no, no of course not... I'm an idiot, he's not... Excellent, excellent, fantastic, eh, I was gonna say lovely to see you, sorry to disturb... Better get on..."

 
At 2/22/10, 6:06 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ha! Duck a la banana! I love that one!

 
At 2/22/10, 6:17 PM, Blogger teachergirl said...

A toast before we go into battle. True love. In whatever shape or form it may come. May we all in our dotage be proud to say, "I was adored once too."

 
At 2/22/10, 10:08 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Another of my favorites!

 
At 2/23/10, 2:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/23/10, 4:32 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I was going to leave "Gareth used to prefer funerals to weddings. He said it was easier to get enthusiastic about a ceremony one had an outside chance of eventually being involved in" but someone got there before me. I love this movie, and I'm surprised that a quick review of my DVD library reveals that I do not own it. I'll have to remedy that.

Thanks for running MMMondays again; I look forward to them!

 
At 2/24/10, 3:25 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Dear Lord, forgive me for what I am about to, ah, say in this magnificent place of worship... Bugger! Bugger! Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger!"

 
At 2/24/10, 5:10 PM, Blogger Kate said...

"Are you married?"
"No."
"Are you a lesbian?"


Might be my favorite movie ever! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics