A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Math lesson

Ahhh, finals week approacheth. Here's a snippet of today's conversation:

Kid A: Ms! I looked at my grade, and it's really low.
MC: Yes, it is. You and I have talked about that a lot.
Kid A: I don't think I'll take the final. I can't pass unless I get 100%. See, because if your final is worth 15% of my grade, and I've got a 50 now, even a hundred would only raise me to a 57.5. So, should I take the final exam?
MC: Well, you certainly won't pass if you don't.
Kid A: Well, I don't think I'm going to take it.
MC: Suit yourself. But that was mad math skillz you just showed there, bud.
Kid A: Yeah, I got a C in math!

You can tell it's approaching the end of the semester when I am thrilled that a kid who redefines the term "underachiever" at least demonstrates some math ability.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12/16/08, 6:01 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

After a certain point, we kind of take what we can get.

 
At 12/16/08, 10:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

My last day is Thursday. I need the break so bad this year.

 
At 12/19/08, 10:44 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

And today, Kid A was as good as his word. One less paper to grade!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics