A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, December 15, 2008

Not to be smug, but...

(Clears throat. Taps mike.)

Is this thing on? Yes? Okay...
(To the tune of "I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree")



I think that I shall never say
Two words as potent as "Snow day,"
Whose possibilities are outspread
Like finals hanging overhead

I normally scorn such wastes of time
Especially in this wintry clime
I'd rather have the school year done
And bask beneath the summer sun

But now I've got a nap to take
--Oh, hell! Until my children wake
Yes, there's the reason I'm so blue
My children got a snow day, too!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12/15/08, 5:45 PM, Blogger cbinsa said...

Very creative...Those of us in south Texas are still waiting for ours! I hope you enjoyed the nap.

 
At 12/15/08, 6:18 PM, Blogger Ms. George said...

Wonderfully done! I, too, am waiting for my first snow day. I will settle for a delay at this point. My kids had a delay on Friday, but my school was further south and we had rain.

 
At 12/15/08, 6:19 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

This is EXCELLENT!

We didn't get "snow" days; we got "ice" days. A lot of our state is still in the dark (and cold). We're hoping that the days off from school will be forgiven, though - the state declared a "state of emergency" and a lot of kids don't have school because the buildings are being used as shelters. A few years ago, when we had some pretty devastating floods, the governor "forgave" two no-school days. We've had two days off before winter even officially began. If we keep going at this rate, we'll be in school through the Fourth of July.

 
At 12/15/08, 7:10 PM, Blogger Cassy said...

I live for snow days. Today was a warm and balmy 63 - just not right.
I'm waiting and hoping...

 
At 12/16/08, 10:36 PM, Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Darn those snow days! They just don't seem to go the way you need them to go!

 
At 12/17/08, 2:49 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

This is GREAT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics