A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Okie food!

My home state is celebrating the centennial of statehood, and hence, we are celebrating All Things Oklahoma.

I may be a middle-aged fat lady on statins, but I still loves me that chicken-fried steak. This place supposedly has some of the best. Once a year or so I allow myself to luxuriate in the crispy, salty goodness, covered with the cream gravy. MMMMMM-MM! Then you must have the real mashed taters and the black-eyed peas and the fried okra, or perhaps the chopped greens. Lawdamercy!

Let us bow our heads in thanks for the wonders of round steak. Pummel it, dip it in batter, and it's heavenly. But cut it into strips with some scissors, coat it in a mixture of flour, paprika, pepper, and garlic salt, (in a bread bag) and then pan fry it -- then it enters the realm of ambrosia. This is my very favorite meal my momma used to make-- YUM.

It's amazing we haven't all had to had shunts installed in every artery we've got, but we of the Clan Cornelius are remarkably untouched by this yummy excess. When I think of scraping up the crispings from grilling a round steak with a piece of bread-- especially the heel-- and then wolfing that down, I almost faint from hunger.

Okie food! God bless it!

And go here for more of all things Okie!



At 10/21/07, 5:47 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

I only tried chicken-fried steak once in some dive down south. It wasn't very good, as the steak was paper-thin. I'd love to try a good one. I saw that show, and it looked great.

Another thing Oklahoma has is Byron Berline, one of the best fiddlers you've ever heard anywhere. He runs a violin shop and concert hall I'd love to go to.

If you live close enough, you ought to check him out.


At 10/21/07, 6:28 PM, Blogger Mrs. Temple said...

LOL - what a step back in time! I grew up in Vinita and went to school with one of the Clanton daughters. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

At 10/21/07, 9:24 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thanks nyc! And yes, CFS can be done INCREDIBLY badly, and when it is it's shudder-inspiring.

A good CFS isn't noticeably greasy at all. Laden with fat, yes.

So mrs. t-- you got to eat there all the time?

At 10/21/07, 9:25 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

At 11/1/07, 9:50 PM, Blogger Polski3 said...

Am tardy in posting about this, but you can't forget the a) cornbread or b) big, flaky homemade biscuits.

Please note: with my new diet life, PLEASE don't blog about stuff like CFS.....or fried catfish. I did have some okra the other day, but that was some stewed stuff.....


Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics