A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, September 21, 2007

And now, a reprise of a favorite category: Stalker Mom

We've all had them-- those parents who just seem a little... off. Well, lucky me has one of them already this year, and everywhere I go, there she is, creepier than Billy Ray Cyrus' soul patch.

I go to the school office, and there she is. Sometimes she'll be overwhelmingly talkative in a completely random way.

I go to my car, and there she is in the parking lot. Yesterday, with 8 million spaces to choose from, I just step out to walk from my car, and she pulls into the space I"M WALKING IN. I had to nimbly jump out of the way while she looked at me blankly, obviously a coupla fries short of a Happy Meal.

I guess I should be grateful: the last of this species I had lived just down the street from my house, and her favorite habit was to block my car into the driveway as she tried to hold a parent-teacher conference about some 10 point assignment from four months ago as I was trying to leave the house. Once she even did this while my little white-haired Momma shivered in the February gloom.

At least this person doesn't live near me. But it's not good that she's very involved in our district, because good gawd, sometimes she's all over me like a cat on catnip, and then other times, she's a zombie.

It may make for an interesting year, as in the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9/21/07, 8:35 PM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

I'm not sure what it is but every year we seem to get parents who are stranger and stranger...and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

 
At 9/22/07, 3:40 PM, Blogger graycie said...

Doncha just love those emails that arrive at Frantic Report Grading Time that begin:

Dear ms. graycie,
I know you must be very busy right now with report cards coming out very soon, but . . .

Lady, if you know that, why are you wasting my time about the work you and your child promised would be completed on time, even though ya'll were going to spend that week at your second home in Aspen a month ago?

aaaargh

 
At 9/22/07, 5:05 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ohhhh, yes. That is one of the wonders of technology. Our gradebook is online, too.

"Deer Teechur: Pweshus told me he gave you that assignment. Please change the zero in the gradebook immediately."

I got three of those last week.

 
At 9/23/07, 3:56 PM, Blogger graycie said...

Had to add another one to your addition. It got too long, so I made it a post over at my place. (This is one of those topics that we love to tell about in war stories!)

 
At 9/24/07, 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My team opted for online grades 3 years ago, and that got old fast, so we opted out. Some team teachers got so fed up, they won't even keep a web page for assignments anymore.

Thanks for good chuckle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics