A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Saturday, September 01, 2007

We're Number One! We're Number One!


My beloved alma mater was given the honor of the first football game of the season last Thursday at 6 pm against the University of Louisiana-Monroe, and we won 35-17! It was just wonderful that it was televised on ESPN-2, as well, so that those of us who are Okie-expats actually got to see the game!

Then it occurred to me: for a few minutes, probably from about 9:45 to 10:30, we were the only Division I college football program with a 1-0 record. So that makes us Number One in the nation, which is the first time we could say that since my sophomore year in college, when we were number 16 in the nation. Heady days! I was the girl in the front of the band in the ugly blue polyester flared-leg uniform screaming her head off. You might have seen me. I assure you I am much calmer now.

But we're number one! I wanted to say that while I could!

Go Hurricane!

And by the way, a small note to the TU athletic department: since we're known as the Golden Hurricane, perhaps a bit more gold on the uniform might make some sense. I mean, c'mon, you've got blue and gold.... and red.... and white???????

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9/2/07, 8:15 AM, Blogger Mike in Texas said...

Could've been worse, they could've put you on "THE BIG OCHO!

 
At 9/2/07, 3:46 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Hey I was THRILLED we were on ESPN2!

Because usually all of the ESPN channels tend to show crap that I don't consider sports--- like poker. Gad. I'd rather watch anything but that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics