A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, September 11, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 30: My birthday present

Welcome back, my compatriots, for yet another Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia game. Here's how we play: I give you a few of my favorite quotes from a movie. You comment with at least one quote of your own from the same movie. We do not reveal the name of the movie until Wednesday, so that everyone gets a chance to play!

Let’s see how many quotes you can come up with from this week’s offering!


“Our list of allies grows thin.”

“Oh that's nice - ash on my tomatoes.”

“Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life.”

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”

“Nobody tosses a dwarf.”

“No, thank you. We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers, or distant relations.”

“I would have would have called you my brother... my captain... my king.”

“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.”

**** Wednesday Update: This week's film is

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring!

Now how many of you out there actually think of this image FIRST
before you think of the film? Oh yes, I read this very edition numerous times until it actually disintegrated into about five pieces. And I must give Peter Jackson a thumbs up on his brilliant adaptation. It was almost exactly like I had imagined.

If you have not treated yourself to this epic, you really must. But read the book, too.

19 Comments:

At 9/11/06, 5:06 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

This is no mine. It's a tomb.

 
At 9/11/06, 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Try saying that 3x fast.

 
At 9/11/06, 6:12 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

"Samwise Gamgee, why can't I quit you?"

 
At 9/11/06, 6:32 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Believe it or not, I've never seen one of these movies. Does that make me odd?

 
At 9/11/06, 6:38 PM, Blogger EHT said...

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.


That quote kind of gives social studies teachers job security, huh?

 
At 9/11/06, 7:32 PM, Blogger nebraska girl said...

C'mon Mr. Frodo,I can't carry for you... but I can carry you!

 
At 9/11/06, 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You're late!"

 
At 9/11/06, 7:59 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Woah. You stumped me on ALL of these. Now that's a rare feat.:)

 
At 9/11/06, 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm old, Gandalf. I know I don't look it but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel thin... sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday. A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall return. In fact I mean not to.

 
At 9/11/06, 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe."

"Is it secret? Is it safe?"

I thought wrong at first, but after a few I guessed and DH confirmed. This quote is from him. My quote would be:

"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been. "

That is my favorite moment in the whole movie.

 
At 9/11/06, 10:23 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

mister teacher, that's just wrong... W-R-O-N-G WRONG!

Freddie, you have a task in front of you....

Very good, all of you! And I thought I was being sly...

"Are you frightened?"
"Yes."
"Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you."

 
At 9/11/06, 11:00 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

What about "I'm a bloody hobbit rock god!!"
Wait, I think I might be confusing an actor with his various characters... :)

 
At 9/12/06, 7:33 AM, Blogger Laura(southernxyl) said...

I heard "I would have followed you", not "I would have called you". I need to get the peanut butter out of my ears.

Ms. Cornelius, dealing with adolescents as you do, you will appreciate this: My daughter had a wretched time in the first semester of 9th grade, dealing with a bully. We called the school and they put a stop to the physical bullying right away, but a bunch of psychological stuff followed. I counseled her in the worthy and useful technique of extinction and so forth. I remember telling her to pray for that girl; I was praying for her. But it was rocky. Then that movie came out. My daughter already loved the books. The other girl hadn't read them. But they both loved that movie. A very tentative friendship started up; they drew pictures of elves and things for each other and started calling each other "Merry" and "Pippin". Before long they were yakking on the phone all the time, going to movies together, and so on. This lasted all through high school. They still keep in touch, although my daughter is in her second year of college in another state. My husband and I frequently told each other that we never would have believed it.

 
At 9/12/06, 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you stopping?

For Breakfast!

We've already had breakfast.

First breakfast, yes. This is Second Breakfast!

 
At 9/12/06, 4:00 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Laura-- isn't it amazing how shared experiences with a book or film can create bonds among people?

Matt-- "What about Elevenses?"

 
At 9/13/06, 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Cornelius-

What about Luncheon?..Dinner??...Supper???


I don't think he knows about those Pip.

-Matt

 
At 9/13/06, 7:04 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Matt-
[horrified looks exchanged]

 
At 9/13/06, 10:48 PM, Blogger Johanna said...

It's a dangerous business, going out your door. If you don't mind your feet, there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to.

 
At 9/13/06, 11:02 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"It is in Men that we must place our hope."
"Men? Men are weak."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics