A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, September 04, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 29: Righteous Dude edition

As we rest from our labors, here comes this week's Movie Madness Monday, the trivia game that tests your ability to store useless bits of information.

Here's how to play: I provide quotes from a movie. You provide a quote of your own (OR TWO!) from the movie-- in the comments section. The movie's name is then revealed on Wednesday. It's simple! It's fun! And, it's inevitable, because here it comes!


“So what Jefferson was saying was ‘Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too.’ Yeah?”

“Aloha. My name is Mr. Hand.”

“This is US history—I see the globe right there.”

“Hey, Bud—What’s your problem?”

“I’m a little slow today—I just switched to Sanka. So have a heart.”

“’I Don’t Know.’—I like that. You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to leave your words on the board for all of my classes to enjoy—giving you full credit, of course.”
“All right!”

“I’m a single, successful guy.”

“Learn it. Know it. Live it."

“When it comes to making out-- whenever possible, put on side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV.”



EXTRA CREDIT: How many cool things are in this movie that effectively no longer exist? Besides-- much to my everlasting distress, showers after PE? Not to mention Anthony Edwards' full head of luxuriant hair....

****Update: This week's movie was

FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH! Makes me want to walk up to a tasty wave and say, "Hey, Dude! Let's Party!"

So many great actors are here: Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage (don't blink or you'll miss him), Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ray Walston, Forest Whitaker, Vincent Schiavelli, Phoebe Cates.... and director Amy Heckerling makes them all shine. Truly one of the best movies about high school ever!

18 Comments:

At 9/4/06, 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People on 'ludes should not drive.

~Jennifer

 
At 9/4/06, 4:55 PM, Blogger Ms. Q said...

Hey, you guys had shirts on when you came in here.

Well, something must have happened to them.

 
At 9/4/06, 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, naturally something happens. I mean, you put the vibe out to 30 million chicks, something is gonna happen.

 
At 9/4/06, 6:04 PM, Blogger 100 Farmers said...

I think this is a most excellent movie to celebrate the first couple of weeks of school.

 
At 9/4/06, 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea for a bloggy thing to do. Of course, at this moment I'm brain dead and can't think of something to contribute...but, maybe I will soon.

I normally suffer from Blogger Pop Quiz Anxiety. (BPQA) Takes me awhile to think of something to contribute!

:)

 
At 9/4/06, 7:29 PM, Blogger anonymous educator said...

You...dick!

 
At 9/4/06, 8:00 PM, Blogger nebraska girl said...

Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the h*ll do you think you're doing?

Learning about Cuba, and having some food.

 
At 9/5/06, 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Are you in my class?"
"I am today."

Happy back to school, everybody!

 
At 9/5/06, 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as cool things that no longer exist...how about Sean Penn's sense of humor? I love the man, but, honestly, he needs to lighten up some.

 
At 9/5/06, 4:37 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

mellowout gets the first extra credit-- she is absolutely right.

Next: also no longer available are LPs.

Anyone else?

"No matter what happens, your toes are still tappin'."

 
At 9/5/06, 4:41 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

mellowout gets the first extra credit-- she is absolutely right. In the parlance of my students: He's all, "I won an Oscar," and I'm all, "You were married to Madonna. You got no cred."

Next: also no longer available are LPs.

Anyone else?

"No matter what happens, your toes are still tappin'."

 
At 9/5/06, 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe people are missing my favorite line: "What are you people? On dope??"

Another thing that no longer exists: Phoebe Cates' career. :-(

 
At 9/5/06, 6:31 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

We were waiting for you, Mr. Lawrence.

And she's busy being Mrs. Kevin Kline. That's career enough for anyone.

"The cruising vessel!"

 
At 9/5/06, 7:45 PM, Blogger EHT said...

"This is US History. I see the globe right there."

"I shall serve no fries before their time."

LP's are gone?! What do you mean? I have several hundred. You mean they don't make them anymore? I must keep up with the times more. Seriously....we are missing those large album covers. They were mini works of art!

 
At 9/6/06, 8:31 AM, Blogger Superdestroyer said...

On of the most played sound bites on sports talk radio after ever drug bust involving an athlete with marijuana is "That's my Skull. I'm so wasted!"

 
At 9/7/06, 9:50 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

Ah yes, a great flick about life at Clarmont Mesa High School, in beautiful San Diego, CA. While on the staff of the Daily Aztec (San Diego State), one of my co-workers there was one of the characters in the book.....

This flick is truely one of the classics of teaching film genre....FOR you newer teachers out there, Mr. Hand shows you how to get your students to pass your class.....you go teach them in their bedroom. And let them order pizza to be delivered to class. (but ouch, isn't that a federal no no for schools now????)

Another must see Teacher film: TEACHERS, staring Nick Nolte.

 
At 9/10/06, 8:50 PM, Blogger Laura(southernxyl) said...

I didn't recognize the movie because I haven't seen it since it came out - I think my husband and I saw it at a drive-in. But my favorite line, which we still remember and quote to each other, came when the principal gave a little pep-talk about the sports program over the PA and said, "Be an athletic supporter." And then looked startled when she realized what she'd said.

Am I remembering this right?

 
At 1/12/07, 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you cannot be an athlete be an athletic supporter" is from Grease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics