A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, August 07, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 25: Love Thy Neighbor Edition-- Southern Fried

Welcome to Movie Madness Monday 25, the weekly trivia-fest where we trot out quotes from our favorite movies.

Here’s how we play: I toss you a few fragrant quotes from a movie. You stop your damn lurking and post a quote of your own from the same movie. We do not reveal the name of the movie until Wednesday, to give everyone a chance to play.

This week’s selection is in honor of some of the toughest, yet smartest, people in my life. Let’s see how you do on this one:


“I'm just screamin' at my husband-- I can do that any time!”

“Time marches on, and, sooner or later, you realize it’s marchin' across your face.”

“All gay men have track lighting. And all gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve.”

“The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.”

“You have the handwriting of a serial killer.”

“Louie brought his new girlfriend over, and the nicest thing I can say about her is all her tattoos are spelled correctly.”

“I do not see plays, because I can nap at home for free. And I don't see movies 'cause they're trash, and they got nothin' but naked people in them. And I don't read books, because if they're any good, they're gonna make 'em into a miniseries.”

****Wednesday Update: This week's film is

STEEL MAGNOLIAS.

Now this film apparently inspired a nearly prehistoric-level fight-or-flight response in our male playmates. Further, I deny that this is the "Ultimate Chick Flick"-- first, I detest that term, and second, I think The Bridges of Madison County would win-- and by the way, that had Clint Eastwood in it. Just because it's got a bunch of women in it, and they're fully clothed, you guys get a fit of the vapors! Steel Magnolias was written by a man who based the story upon his own family's struggle with his sister's illness. I love the dialogue!

By the way, take a good look at the picture above. Notice anything about the hair?

Short, Short, Medium, Big, Bigger, Bigger!!! and JUUUUST RIGHT. It's an homage to BIG HAYER!

Thanks for playing!

10 Comments:

At 8/7/06, 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No idea. But looks like something I need to rent!

 
At 8/7/06, 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you lose people when you start quoting from the Ultimate chick flick.

 
At 8/7/06, 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

 
At 8/7/06, 9:16 PM, Blogger EHT said...

I feel so smart now. I've gotten two of these now......

The whole movie is full of characters I've seen in my own life. Three of my top lines:

*Pink is my signature color.

*The sanctuary looks like it's been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol

*This is it, I've found it, I'm in Hell.

 
At 8/7/06, 9:33 PM, Blogger Ms. Q said...

"In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight."

So true!

BTW one of my all time fave movies. Will now have to watch it tonight.

 
At 8/7/06, 11:54 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Dear anonymous,
Dude, I did this one because I KNEW elementaryhistoryteacher would know it, being a good southern gal.

I thought An Affair to Remember was the Ultimate Chick flick....

Embrace your feminine side and gimme a break: I did ANIMAL HOUSE last week! Let's see if there are any real men out there willing to take a walk on the wild side.

And this one has enough smart-ass comments for anyone.

"You are too twisted for color TV!"

 
At 8/8/06, 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know every single line in this movie. I played the Shirley MacLaine character in my high school play, which ended up getting cancelled because of lack of time and funding for our drama class. (Still furious over that one. I practiced my heart out.) Someone took my favorite quote already, so...

"A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"I'm not crazy! I've just been in a bad mood for the last forty years!"

"Sammy's so confused. He doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt."

"Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God only knows what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken!"
"Not on your first visit!"

Yeah, this is the ultimate chick flick, but did you know it was written and adapted for the screen by a man? I made my husband watch this, and he laughed at all the good stuff.

 
At 8/9/06, 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first time you stumped me ... and now that I cheated and looked it up, I realize I know why I was stumped: the mere fact that I am a man prevents me from being within 300 meters of this particular film. :-)

 
At 8/9/06, 10:43 PM, Blogger EHT said...

Now, wait a minute Ms. C.....did you dumb this down just for me?! Jus' kiddin'!!!! I needed a boost to my self-esteem----it's so important to have good self-esteem, you know.

 
At 8/10/06, 5:50 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I do not consider a MMM to be "dumbed down" if half the population is stumped by it. Au contraire!

"Let's connect the bald spots..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics