A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, July 31, 2006

Movie Madness Monday 24: The best years of our lives

Hello, and welcome to Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia game. Here's how we play: I give you a few of my favorite quotes from a movie. You comment with a quote of your own from the same movie. A quote! Two quotes! We do not reveal the name of the movie until Wednesday, so that everyone gets a chance to play!

Okay? Okay! So here we go:

"Teaching's a way of paying the rent until I finish my novel."
"How long have you been working on it?
"Four and a half years."
"Must be good."

"Grab a brew! Don't cost nothin'!"

"If you want a homecoming parade in my town, you must pay."

"Don't you have any respect for yourself?"
"This is absolutely gross! That boy is a P-I-G --PIG!"

"Can I buy you lunch? Aw, you've already got your lunch. Well, how 'bout some milk, then? You got your milk, too. Well, can I just massage your thighs while you eat?"

"Christ! Seven years of college down the drain!"

"What? Over? Did you say 'Over?' Nothing is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!"

"Who dumped a truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are full of underwear; every spring, the toilets explode."


Have fun, now!

****WEDNESDAY UPDATE: Our homage to ultra highbrow cinema this week is
ANIMAL HOUSE!

Ivan Reitman's hazy memories of college transferred to the screen.



I tried to find a picture of John Belushi as Bluto, and was lucky to find this. I never knew the president was such a fan!

Thanks for playing!

18 Comments:

At 7/31/06, 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a clue, not a single clue. Had to look it up on imdb. Nope, haven't seen that one.

 
At 7/31/06, 10:47 AM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

"See if you can guess what I am now?"

The rest you have to see.

 
At 7/31/06, 11:02 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Cut the crap. Give me a drink.

 
At 7/31/06, 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite comedy of all time. How about these quotes:

"Hey, it's all right. You (messed) up! You trusted us!"

or

"It's OK. I lied to you too. I'm only 13."

or

"I think I'm in love with a retard."

"Is he bigger than me?"

 
At 7/31/06, 1:08 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"I'm a zit! Get it?"

You know, I don't care how bleak everything seems-- this one always makes me laugh. Always.

 
At 7/31/06, 1:53 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Oh, this is my favorite movie! Does that tell you how bad my tastes are?

NYC took my line. It's my favorite. (Think mucho potatoes in Bluto's mouth.)

 
At 7/31/06, 2:23 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Aha! I was pretty sure I knew it, but the "zit" line was the clincher!

"You're all worthless and weak!"

"Well, as of this moment, they're on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!"

 
At 7/31/06, 3:52 PM, Blogger Superdestroyer said...

1. May we dance with your dates?

2. If you use the word extortion again, I will have your legs broken.

 
At 7/31/06, 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fat, drunk & stupid is no way to go through life, son."

I had the Belushi poster in my room during my own college years. :-)

 
At 7/31/06, 6:43 PM, Blogger EHT said...

This Movie Madness thing always makes me feel so stupid because I usually don't have a clue. This one I knew......but Mr. Lawrence got my line. That's the best one in the whole movie.

 
At 7/31/06, 7:10 PM, Blogger Ms. George said...

"I'll give you a note. I'll say you are too well to attend."

"I pledge allegience to the frat."

"Kent Dorfman? His brother Fred was a legacy."
"His brother was a closet case."

 
At 7/31/06, 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee, Ms.C. You should have called this Cardigan Sweater Edition. I had to cheat for this one because I just love this speech:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests -- we did. But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the actions of a few sick, perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you ... isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!"

This movie was my parents' first date. My dad thought it was hilarious. My mother fell asleep halfway through it. Thank goodness I got my dad's sense of humour. (No offense, Ma.)

 
At 7/31/06, 9:42 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yes, this did all begin with a remark about a Cardigan sweater.

And there's a really obvious one still floating around out there...

which I'll be nice and not take.

Instead:"We gotta take these bastards. Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons; that could take years, and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

 
At 7/31/06, 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at college when that movie came out. During pledge week the fraternity next door to us was identified as our campus' version of this movie and the rushees were spot on.

"And most recently of all, a "Roman Toga Party" was held from which we have received more than two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here."

I think I was at that party...

 
At 7/31/06, 11:06 PM, Blogger anonymous educator said...

Can I buy some pot from you?

 
At 8/1/06, 6:10 PM, Blogger EHT said...

Ok, Mellowout is making me feel old. This movie was close to my first date with my husband. ARGHHHHHHHH!

 
At 8/1/06, 8:51 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

EHT- that quote is in my sidebar, it's so much a favorite. And Movie Madness Monday is not supposed to make anyone feel stupid. Perhaps I should do a movie that reminds me of you next week.... Perhaps Lady S would have a better shot at the one I have in mind, although I think she was 6 when it came out... ;-)

Mr. Lawrence: I have the SWEATSHIRT and a T-shirt!

And now, for the love of Mike:

"Thank you, sir! May I have another?!?"

 
At 8/4/06, 10:06 AM, Blogger Goldie said...

I LOVE this movie!
And your site, too.
I'm linking to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics