A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, July 24, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: 23 is a prime number

Welcome back for another edition of Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia game. Last week we enjoyed a short trip to a galaxy far, far, away, so this week I though we should stay a bit closer to home.

Here's how we play: I post a few quote from an unnamed movie, and you add a quote or two you like from the same movie. We do not reveal the name of the movie until Wednesday.

Here we go!

"Why, by God, girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon! You're no bigger than a corn nubbin, what're you doing with all this pistol?"
"It belonged to my father, he carried it bravely in the war, and I intend to kill Tom Chaney with it if the law fails to do so."
"Well, this'll sure get the job done if you can find a fence post to rest it on while you take aim."

"How long you boys in Texas been mounted on sheep?"

"Now, I've got business across the river and if you interfere with me you may land up in court which you don't want to be. I've got a good lawyer in J. Noble Daggett."
"Lawyer Daggett again."
"She draws him like a gun."

"Judge Parker. Old carpetbagger, but he knows his rats! We had a good court going on here 'til them pettifogging lawyers moved in!"

"By God, she reminds me of me!"
"Well then, we might not get along."

"You squirrel-headed bastard!"

"Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way."

"A little earlier I gave some thought to stealin' a kiss from you, although you are very young... and you're unattractive to boot. But now I'm of a mind to give you five or six good licks with my belt. "
"Well, one would be as unpleasant as the other."

****Wednesday Update: Someone kills your father? If you need help, you look for someone with TRUE GRIT!

One of the very best Westerns ever, in my opinion, with the Duke (God bless him!) demonstrating his knack for action and comedy. Look for an incredibly young Dennis Hopper and Robert Duvall in supporting roles. Kim Darby played Mattie Ross (and I never realized it, but she'd also played Miri on Star Trek in episode 12, the one where Earth's adults had all been killed off by some deadly virus. She was the one who fell in love with Kirk. I know, I REALLY AM a geek!).

It is the dialogue in this movie that makes it great. It's also one of the few movies the Duke ever did that spawned a sequel, Rooster Cogburn... and the Lady in which Katharine Hepburn also starred. Both films were magic, in my opinion. Those of you who were stumped by this one need to treat yourself to a re-viewing.

11 Comments:

At 7/24/06, 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You're too old and fat to be jumpin' horses."

"I believe you testified that you backed away from Old Man Wharton?"
"Yes, sir."
"Which direction were you going?"
"Backward. I always go backward when I'm backing away."

My grandmother was a HUGE fan of the star. We joke around that she's probably chasing him around in the big ranch in the sky. If it weren't for her, I probably wouldn't have seen many of his films, which would be a shame since I came to love one of them very dearly and wrote a paper on it at university.


(This is my second try posting; the first time didn't go through, so there might end up being two of me here. Oh well, it let me add another fav quote and a little extra info.)

 
At 7/24/06, 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I won't rest until Dick Cheney's barking in hell."

... or no ... wait, I think I got the quote wrong. ;-)

(* I always liked the Duke's advice to walk slow, talk slow and not say very much. Can't follow it very well, but I like the sound of it.)

 
At 7/24/06, 3:26 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Mr. Lawrence, I like your version better, and it opens up all kinds off possibilities for parody....

Mellowout, my grandpa was much like him, but not as cocky. Just quietly good at everything and resilient. I have much fondness for him.

"Come see an old man sometime."

 
At 7/24/06, 5:22 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

One of the "good" Duke movies.....Wonder what ever happened to Kim Darby? Wasn't Bruce Dern in this one too?

 
At 7/24/06, 7:46 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Ms. C, while I have absolutely NO idea which movie we are discussing, I did want to share a fabulous resource I found while looking for golf pencils online: http://www.forteachersonly.com/
I ordered misprinted pencils AND pens for all my sticky-fingered darlings, and they were cheap! Thanks again for the fantastic classroom set-up advice.

 
At 7/24/06, 9:39 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ms. White, By anyone's admission this one is a classic.

And I am now poorer due to the cool site you found :-)

"I want Tom Chaney hanged for killing my father! It's little to me how many dogs and senators he's killed in Texas!"

"General Price don't belong to me. Cats don't belong to nobody. 'Course, I depend on him."

 
At 7/24/06, 9:44 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

And Polski, where in heck's your quote, you sidewinder???? That's how we play!

 
At 7/25/06, 7:49 AM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Wow, I think I figured it out.

I now feel marginally less ignorant than I did last week.

 
At 7/25/06, 8:09 AM, Blogger Superdestroyer said...

I believe there is the statement

"He never did me wrong until he killed me"

 
At 7/25/06, 10:40 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Superdestroyer, that was close enough :-)

NYC, we need to get you a DVD player on that princely NY salary :-)-- now, gotta quote?

"Everything happens to me, and now I'm shot by a child!"

"I also notice that the men of Texas gouge their mounts with great brutal spurs — and cultivate their hair like lettuce!"

 
At 7/25/06, 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie is going to have to go on our NetFlix queue, cuz neither hubby nor I could figure it out with out some help.

I am going to be in a lot of trouble over that "for teachers" website!

I hope you do one I know next week. (Hubby got last week's but I didn't show it to him until today.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics