A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

It's not my way to love you just when no one's looking


Happy Birthday today to Keith Carradine-- actor, painter, composer, singer, and brother to Caine, Kung Fu master. Currently playing Wild Bill Hickok on HBO's Deadwood, pictured above, Carradine lives on in my heart as the guy who wrote and sang "I'm Easy" for the Robert Altman film Nashville back in 1976, when I was a wee child.

Imagine my horror when I was reminded that that bit of musical treacle actually won an Academy Award AND a Golden Globe for best song in a film. Do you know that it beat out "Theme from Mahogany" for the Oscar, the song that gave us the immortal questions, "Do you know where you're going to? Do you like the things that life is showing you?"

Crap. The Seventies really DID suck musically, at least in film-- kind of like last year.

But Happy Birthday anyway, Keith!

So here's a question: What do you think was the worst/most annoying song of the Seventies?

An ancillary question is what group do you consider most annoying? I vote for Starland Vocal Band. Or Rush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics