A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, June 05, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: Summer Fling edition

After a few days of camping, there's nothing better than a good game of Movie Madness Monday! (Once you can get blasted Blogger to work, that is...)

So here are my quotes from the movie I've chosen this week. You provide a quote of your own from the same movie, and on Wednesday, the name of the movie will be revealed. So, in honor of my first week of VACATION!, here's a little bauble for you to treasure.

"'ello, poppet!"

"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request... that means, 'No.'"

"You're not a eunuch, are you?"

"This is either madness-- or brilliance!"
"It's remarkable how those two traits coincide."

"You cheated!"
"Pirate!"

"Who makes all these?"
"I do-- and I practice with them three hours a day."
"You need to get yourself a girl, mate."

"I think we've all arrived at a very special place.... spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically."

"You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you."
"There's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then is it?"

**** Wednesday Update: This weeks' little trip into quoteland was provided by

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this film-- I thought it would be a cheese-fest of the first order. But some intelligent scriptwriting and outstanding performances put this one in the groove. Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Kiera Knightley, and Johnny Depp (whom I will admit has been an acquired taste of mine) turn in fabulous performances. In fact, this was a perfect showcase for a guilty pleasure of mine, namely, Orlando Bloom. Uh-huh.

Ooops. Sorry. A perfect summer movie. I hope that the sequel coming out this summer will be as good.

12 Comments:

At 6/5/06, 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>There'll be no living with her after this.<<

aaarrrrr!

 
At 6/5/06, 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just watched this movie last Friday on a big screen TV at a house I'm house-sitting and dog-sitting.

First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement, so I must do nothin'. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the Pirate's Code to apply, and you're not. And thirdly, the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.

 
At 6/5/06, 2:55 PM, Blogger graycie said...

I know this! I know this!

"You lied!"
"Pi-rate!"

(I must confess, the visuals of the protagonist completely overwhelmed my memories of the dialogue.)

 
At 6/5/06, 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We're going to steal a ship? That ship?"
"Commendeer. We're going ot commendeer that ship. Nautical term."

I got to go on the boat that the main characters steal. The crew was more than happy to tell us stories about the production. Seeing the movie in the theatre was one of the best movie-going experiences I've ever had.

"I'm told it's the latest fashion in London."
"Well, women in London must have learned not to breathe."

"You like pain? Try wearing a corset."

I love this movie and wonder what the sequel will be like. I was saddened to hear, though, that they're adding characters from the movie to the original rides they took the story from. That spoils the fun of spotting the "cameo" bits from the original characters from the old ride.

 
At 6/5/06, 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say Goodbye! *Crash* goodbye.


P.S. Just to be a pedant, shouldn't one of your quotes be
"I'm disinclined to _ascquiece_ to your request. ...That means No.

-Matt

 
At 6/5/06, 4:47 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yeah, Matt, you're right, and I spotted it after the third time trying to post this little blighter-- Blogger was on some sort of hiatus. So I'll try to fix it now and hope it doesn't take an hour.

"He roped a couple of sea turtles."
"Aye. Sea turtles."
"What did he use for rope?"
"Human hair." (pause) "From my back."

 
At 6/5/06, 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the screenwriters has a myspace account.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=11385434
(hope this works!)
I love the features they do these days on how a movie was made.

 
At 6/5/06, 9:20 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Hmmm, the screenwriting was very clever. I especially like when they use scenes from the ride in the movie-- it is very cleverly done.

 
At 6/5/06, 10:19 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

"The moonlight shows us for what we really are."

 
At 6/5/06, 11:08 PM, Blogger Shannon akaMonty said...

DRAT! You've all taken my favorite quotes! :)

"You are without a doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

 
At 6/6/06, 10:29 AM, Blogger Fred said...

All the best quotes are taken. Looks like I'm too late to the party for this one.

 
At 6/6/06, 10:42 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Oh, no they're not Freddie, you just have to dig a bit.

F'rinstance:

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics