A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, January 28, 2008

Movie Madness Monday 100: I Miss My Dad edition

We bring you one of the best movies about the complex misunderstanding that is unfortunately usually the basis of the relationship between father and child. But at the bottom of it all, there is love.

In honor of my Dad, who actually liked this movie, I bring you Movie Madness Monday, Century Edition. Please put your quote in the comments section without naming the movie.


"Water?"
"No, thank you-- fish make love in it."

"Small world, Dr. Jones."
"Too small for two of us."
"This is the second time I've had to reclaim my property from you."
"That belongs in a museum."
"So do you."

"I didn't know you could fly a plane!"
"Fly, yes. Land, no."

"It's disgraceful! You're old enough to be her-- her grandfather!"
"Well, I'm as human as the next man."
"Dad, I WAS the next man!"
"Oh... ships that pass in the night."

"Please, what does it always mean, this... this "Junior"?
"That's his name. Henry Jones... Junior!"

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 1/28/08, 7:02 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, yeah! I ordered this trilogy for my birthday!!


You dolt! You think my son would be that stupid? That he would bring my diary all the way back here?
[pause]
You didn't, did you?
[pause]
You didn't bring it, did you?
Well, uh...
You *did*!
Look, can we discuss this later?
I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!

 
At 1/28/08, 7:58 PM, Blogger teachergirl said...

The last time I saw your father we were in the library. He was very close to tracking down the Knight's tomb. I've never seen him so excited. He was as giddy as a schoolboy.

Who, Atilla The Professor? He was never giddy, even when he was a schoolboy.
**********************

My son, we're pilgrims in an unholy land.

 
At 1/28/08, 8:51 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

New Indy Jones movie soon to be in theaters.....Can't wait !

 
At 1/30/08, 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I know the movie but it's been so long since I've seen it that I don't remember any quotes. Which is sad because I used to be able to recite the first one from beginning to end...

 
At 1/30/08, 10:56 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Ms. C, when you say "my Dad, who actually liked this movie," I hope you're not implying that it's a movie people shouldn't like!! It's a classic!

It's the Nazis.
Are you sure?
Pretty sure...

Are you crazy?? Don't go between them!
Go between them?? Are you crazy???

You are named after the dog???
I got a lot of fond memories with that dog.

Ahhhh... Venice!

 
At 1/31/08, 5:11 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Mr. Teacher, No, I mean that Dad didn't all in love with movies the way I do.

"You didn't bring it, did you?"
"Well, uh..."
"You DID!"
"Look, can we discuss this later?"
"I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!"
"Will you take it easy?"
"Take it easy? Why do you think I sent it home in the first place? So it wouldn't fall into their hands!"
"I came here to SAVE you!"
"Oh, yeah? And who's gonna come to save you, JUNIOR?"

 
At 2/3/08, 6:56 AM, Blogger Clix said...

I doubt I'll get this QUITE right, but...

- He's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. He speaks a dozen languages, knows EVERY local custom. He'll blend in, disappear. You'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got it already.
[Cut to: some kind of street bazaar in the Middle East, with a middle-aged Britishy tourist-type smack in the middle.]
- Ahh... does anyone here speak English? Or even Ancient Greek?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics