A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, November 06, 2007


Drug-resistant staph infections are on the rise.

A school in New York has found a student and an employee with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. A student in Virginia died from the infection, and 21 schools were closed and cleaned as a result.

It's never too late to repeat: I wipe down the surfaces in my room once a week, and wash my hands frequently during the day. I have actually had students who have had virulent staph infections and not even know it.

It's really frightening.



At 11/7/07, 7:35 AM, Blogger Nic said...

MRSA's all over the place here in Tucson right now. Yum. :-/

At 11/7/07, 1:43 PM, Blogger graycie said...

The student who died went to school about 25 miles from my desk here at my school. He was a friend of several of my seniors.

I have one of those cans of anti-bacterial wipes and if a student wants to wipe down his/her desk, they're available. The generic kind isn't very expensive.


Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics