Eight! Ocho! Huit! Yodul! Hachi! VIII!
On the Edge and Casting Out Nines have both graciouly tagged moi to reveal 8 random things about myself. Now, if you read this blog at all, you know it's pretty damn random anyway, but okie-doke!
1. I never wear nail polish on my fingernails. I remember when the Husbandly Unit was courting me, and I had been buying into all that gotta-paint-your-nails-if-you-want-to-catch-a-fella crap, and, like the engineer he is, he pointed out what an absolute waste of time it was to do it, so I very thankfully stopped. I am sure it was actually all a part of his nefarious plan to marry a low-maintenance (please read that word as "inexpensive") woman since he was also quite, um, frugal. But I never get a manicure. Of any sort. French, Korean, Russian or any other nationality. When you play stringed instruments, what's the point?
2. I used to drink 7-8 Pepsis a day, beginning early in the morning and going into the wee hours. I now allow myself maybe one a day during the school year. It was a wrench.
3. I only gained 8 pounds while I was expecting. When you start off looking like a lady weight-lifter, you don't need to go far. And my feet actually decreased a size by the time I had my last kid.
4. I used to be addicted to romance novels. I liked the funny ones-- not so much with the Danielle Steele. My favorite one was also a mystery-- It was Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters. I read that often, even today.
5. Complete strangers ask me for help or advice in stores and on the street. All the time. They will pick me out of a crowd and make a beeline for me, ignoring cops and concierges by the score. My husband has finally gotten used to it, but it used to freak him out.
6. I could clean up on that new show "The Singing Bee." I can remember song lyrics from songs I haven't heard for years. On our vacation, we discovered that, apparently, radio stations in the Carolinas don't play any music other than oldies and country. I sang the lyrics to every song I heard for hours to keep myself awake. After three notes, I can start belting out, "When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town/ Down around San Antone/ And the folks are risin' for another day/ Round about their homes...." Pity me.
7. I don't get hangovers. Ever. The secret is to drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol. And come from a long line of moonshiners.
8. I was a Camp Fire Girl. Not a Girl Scout; a Camp Fire Girl. All the way from Blue Birds through Horizon Club. And I loved it. I wish there was a group nearby for my girls, but they are Girl Scouts instead, poor things.
Now, this meme has been around for so long, I hereby tag anyone who hasn't gotten to play along yet if they want to. Just let me know, and I'll read yours!