A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Whose fault is it? Let's seeeeee....

I was standing in an interminable line at the license bureau. I was shifting my weight from foot to foot, trying to keep my cool.

There was woman there wearing scads of Ralph Lauren, lovely pearls, perfectly coiffed hair-- which in Midwestern humidity is quite a feat.

Two adorable little boys were there too. Thick blonde hair, cut in that cute little preppy style. Seersucker shorts. Izod shirts.

They were the loudest, most obnoxious little hellions I have seen in a month of Sundays-- ever since the lamented youthgroup incident.

They lay on the incredibly filthy floor and rolled around looking for a quarter that supposedly rolled under the Pepsi machine. Their hands turned black. The smaller one had an off-center Hitler mustache from the grime. The older one ran up and down the line holding on to the velveteen rope that created lanes for all of us poor saps waiting for the next available clerk and pulling the dividers over. Their mother kept calling them over and they laughed and completely ignored her. Over and over again. I heard their incredibly preppy little names over and over again and their little demonic laughs as they did WHATEVER THE HELL they wanted. She asked this little one five times to come over so she could clean his grimy little mug.

I finally had enough. Being a mom, I dug in my purse for the kleenex dispenser. I pulled out two, and the next time the smallest demon prince zipped by, I said, "Here, sweetie, wouldn't you like this? And ooh, you could use it to clean your face. Let's see you try it!" and the little blister actually took the kleenex and wiped at his face. The mother turned around and gaped at me. I said to her, "Now's the time to grab him," and she came out of the fog and did it. It was a miracle. Right at that moment, the clerk finished the airhead's paperwork, she dragged her two little monsters out, and the older gentleman in front of me insisted I go ahead of him.

I've seen kids like this before. And this will be the only time I will ever reference Paris Hilton in this blog.

Behind every Paris Hilton, there is some idiot parent who has no interest in treating their children as anything but fashion accessories or breathing dress-up dolls.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6/24/07, 9:10 PM, Blogger malpas said...

Go on say it - I dare you -
'spare the rod and spoil the child'.

 
At 6/25/07, 9:56 AM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

I've often thought for years that too many people treat children as the latest fashion accessory. Let's see, these kids will start school, drive everyone nuts, and Preppy Mom will Doctor shop until she gets one who'll give them meds for ADHD...when all she really needed to do is BE A FREAKING PARENT.

You go girl!

 
At 6/25/07, 12:54 PM, Blogger Dan said...

When I worked in a coffee shop I saw children absolutely destroy the place while the parents sat oblivious or worse, stared at their destructive little angels like idiots.

I wanted to grab the parents by the throats and say "You're what's wrong with society!"

 
At 6/27/07, 8:50 AM, Blogger Smithie said...

I'm by no means a perfect parent but I'm sure that slacker teachers have more to do with the woes of society than poor parenting. Just ask the mother of these two "wonders" (please insert sarcastic tone and grin).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics