A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Here's what your kids are listening to 2

This week I've chosen to reveal the lyrics to a popular Carrie Underwood song which I have heard several of my young ladies singing at the top of their lungs. There's not a lot of slang in this one, but it is a popular song.

The advocacy of violence-- some might call it empowerment, but not me-- in this song makes me a bit uncomfortable, although certainly I wouldn't wink at infidelity, either.

Before He Cheats
Carrie Underwood


Right now he's probably slow dancing with a bleach blonde tramp,
and she's probably getting frisky...
right now, he's probably buying her some fruity little drink
cause she can't shoot whiskey...

Right now, he's probably up behind her with a pool-stick,
showing her how to shoot a combo...
And he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats...
I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

Right now, she's probably up singing some
white-trash version of Shania karaoke..
Right now, she's probably saying "I'm drunk"
and he's a thinking that he's gonna get lucky,
Right now, he's probably dabbing on 3 dollars worth of that bathroom Polo...
And he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats,
I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

I might've saved a little trouble for the next girl,
Cause the next time that he cheats...
Oh, you know it won't be on me!

Ohh... not on me...
Cause I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
carved my name into his leather seats...
I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats.

Ohh.. Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats...
Ohh... before he cheats...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5/2/07, 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the part about how she had to go on Judge Judy and pay him back the $5000 to get his truck fixed? Not to mention, the court-ordered anger management classes she has to now take.

 
At 5/2/07, 3:59 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Ha!

 
At 5/5/07, 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt pretty sick when I heard this song. Where's the part where she mentions that she's through with the guy?

Let me describe the unwritten final verse of the song: He comes home drunk, beats her; the cops come and arrest him; he calls her the next day to apologize; she forgives him, bails him out and drops the charges; they return home to have passionate make-up sex; and the whole process begins again the next weekend.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is the life a song like this promotes.

 
At 5/6/07, 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard this song on the radio once & me & my Dad both said "This song sucks!"
The next week at school one of the female student sang it. I don't think she said "tramp" though; she said "beauty".
I never thought of it but you're right, it does advocate violence. Carrie Underwood (or Undewear as I call her; can't stand her) should realize that young girls are listening to her song & show them good ways of dealing with a cheating boyfriend.
Or maybe young girls should smarten up since Carrie Underwood's not going to do a damn thing.
The truth is Carrie Underwood's a money girl. Since there's no money in cleaning up her songs she's not going to do anything.
Unfortunately for us neither's going to happen. Carrie Underwood's going to keep making her songs & young girls are going to be impressionable & stupid.
*Sigh...*

 
At 5/7/07, 8:59 AM, Blogger Goldie said...

Nice song, what's the title again? "I'm a Psycho Bitch and I'm Proud of It?"
Fortunately, my kids don't listen to this stuff. They've listened to a lot of rap, but not this stuff. Whew.

 
At 6/2/07, 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as a 24 yr old male, uncle (Sister's kids I help take care of, 9 & 7)Actually do a lot of thinking about the influences our music and other media have on them. A song like this I have to say is geared towards the young adults who have had already bad relationships and can relate to what's going on in the song. There was a study done on the influence of media violence on the youth back in Dec. of '03. the link is:

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/pspi/pspi43.pdf

If that link doesn't work, Google in "Study on violence influences in the media".

That study shows no conclusive evidence to the linking of violent tendencies from the media. So thinking about that, this song expresses the human nature desire of revenge through song, which is a viable form of imagination, or aka a 'fantasy place' of sorts. That's all this song this song does. Censorship in the home can still be enforced by example. You can't control what your kids are exposed to in the outside world, but in the home you can "show" your kids what you listen to, or more accurately, what you're not. Kids watch everything, and they pick up the core moral fibers you show. I'm not a parent expert, so I'll stop there, however i do have the experience of a younger sibling growing through teenage years and a niece and nephew growing from birth to their age. I might be biased in saying they were raised properly, however we have none in jail, on drugs, engaged in any illegal activities that I know of, or showing any violent tendencies (and one of the aforementioned is an extreme Bi-Polar) And all of us were raised when the media had a major stronghold of influences of young kids and young adults.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics