Thursday Thirteen Number 1
13 Things I Hate About Winter:
1.There is no baseball during winter. This proves, indubitably, that winter is accursed.
2. There is even a nasty little period in the winter where there's no baseball, AND there's no football. That really is brutal.
3. I go to work in the morning, and it's dark.
4. Snow. And snow days. I would rather be in school when it's crappy outside, and get out of school when it's warm and sunny.
5. The way people drive in the snow and ice. Now, in Oklahoma, we only got ice, and everyone knows you really can't drive on ice, and we acknowledged that and stayed home. See, we're descended from people who survived winters on the prairie, so nature has self-selected hardy, survival-oriented types. But here? People think that driving a huge SUV means you're bulletproof. Which is fine if they would just slide off into a ditch without nearly annihilating others.
6. Sunlight deprivation. I think I have a touch of seasonal affective disorder, except that I get grumpy instead of sad.
7. Putting on layers of clothing to keep warm makes one look much fatter. Just the other day, I was blamed for influencing the tides at Lake Michigan. I'm probably the reason why Pluto was downgraded to a planet-in-waiting.
8. My nose is cold, but I'm sweating.Disgusting almost to the point of getting a botox injection-- but not quite.
9. Ice. I hate ice.
10. When one flake or ice pellet hits the ground, everyone within 100 miles dashes to the grocery stores in their big SUVs and buys up all the bread, milk and eggs. Because, after all, they might run out and not be able to get to the store if we get that quarter-inch of snow. It's as if everyone thinks that the ingredients for French toast form some kind of talisman against the cold.
11. Darkness at 5 pm. That's just wrong.
12. Blustery northern winds.
13. The field mice come into our school with a vengeance during winter, and they like to leave little presents all around. Can anyone say, "Hantavirus?" I thought you could.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Jess, the Computer Diva
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants