A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, January 15, 2007

Five things about moi

I got tagged with the "Five Things About Me" meme and have had loads of trouble getting it done, what with my ISP going down in the storm and all, but now, mea culpa, I'm getting it done.

1. I like to drop Latin, Greek or other foreign words and phrases into my teaching. Carpe diem! Ne oublie! (This is my Scots clan's motto. And it should be the motto of all involved in education.)

2. I HATE "reality TV" shows. I mean it. They are absolutely AWFUL. I don't like making fun of people who are blissfully unaware of how untalented they are, like that William Hmong or whoever he was. Donald Trump needs to go to a decent hairstylist.

3. I listen to lyrics in songs as well as to the music. I pretty much am not a fan of "new school" hip-hop or urban contemporary music, although I have pretty catholic musical tastes in about everything else. However, I really liked the group Arrested Development, and wish we had some of the same quality available now. But Jay-Z's Busweiser commercial sets my teeth on edge: "Show me what ya got, pretty lady! Show me what ya got, now mama! And wave and wave, and wave and wave...." Oooh, deep. I can hear the cash register ringing from here.

4. I am an obsessive book-buyer and reader.

5. I play guitar. A lot.

I now tag Mr. Teacher at learn me good, Alsoomse, and Mike in Texas.

7 Comments:

At 1/15/07, 10:23 AM, Blogger Nic said...

I like the reality shows where people are working with some real talent to compete against one another--"Top Chef" or "Project Runway"--but otherwise I'm with ya on the reality shows.

 
At 1/15/07, 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

However, I really liked the group Arrested Development, and wish we had some of the same quality available now.

Try Saul Williams. I think you'll like it, if you enjoyed Arrested Development. He's got a more new-school aesthetic with the same social consciousness.

There's also Talib Kweli, and The Roots, who're still in business, and plenty more where those came from. The really great stuff doesn't get a lot of radio time these days, though, I'll admit.

 
At 1/15/07, 10:52 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thanks. That's always the way it is. Will try it-- hope they're on iTunes.

 
At 1/15/07, 11:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's a link to Saul's "Black Stacey" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsgavuG4sg

The song was my introduction to him, although I hadn't seen the video until just now.

 
At 1/16/07, 5:33 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Only if you think he's not demonstrating much talent.

 
At 1/17/07, 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few more recommendations on the music tip: People Under the Stairs; Del the Funky Homosapien (yes, he's still around - just saw him about a month ago); Atmosphere; Aesop Rock...

 
At 1/19/07, 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doggonit, I have tried to avoid the whole "tagging" phenomenon, and I told Redkudu as much when she tagged me with this same meme last week. But first her, then you, now Mike in Texas, I guess I'll have to succumb to e-peer pressure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics