A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Happy One Year Anniversary, Scott!

Scott Elliott over at Get on the Bus celebrated his one year blog-iversary on Tuesday. Scott's blog is an outgrowth of his work as an education reporter for the Dayton Daily News.

Scott always has a really good take on education, especially for those of us who live in the Land Between the Coasts. Here are my top five favorite posts of his:
1. This one tried to keep the NYT's John Tierney honest in vaunting private schools over public schools. Scott did a great job in highlighting questions about the veracity of some studies used in Tierney's article.

2. This one piggybacked off a LA Times article and offered a fascinating take on a fundamentalist minister who teaches kids retorts to use toward their teachers when they are presented with information about evolution, one of my favorite topics.

3. This post, somewhat related to the previous one, asks whether Ohio is an "island of ignorance" when it comes to to its science curriculum. (I think we all wonder that, no matter where we live, given the sorry state of science education all across the country.)

4. This post's title says it all: "My Mom made me fat!"

5. This one made me think that Scott has spent some time in a classroom-- it's regarding the ethical implications of a student allowing another student to copy off his work.

If you haven't read Scott's blog lately, go over and take a gander-- and leave a comment!

3 Comments:

At 8/10/06, 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. C and I belong to a mutual admiration society. I've already ranked her my fourth favorite teacher-blogger. It may be time to revise that list ...

Thanks for the very, very kind words! And keep up the great work here at "Shrewdness of Apes!"

Scott

 
At 8/11/06, 5:50 AM, Blogger Dennis Fermoyle said...

Thanks for this post, Ms. Cornelius. I should have been more aware of Scott's work, but I wasn't. I loved his post on cheating, and I think it's inspired one of my own. I think I'll start on it right after I add Scott to my list of edubloggers.

Scott's assessment of your work is right on, by the way!

 
At 8/11/06, 8:26 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Thanks, guys!

I've made a blogger match! I feel like a character in Fiddler on the Roof....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics