A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, February 20, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: the inaugural edition

I am trying to cheer myself up, so I'm going to invent a new blog game for all 10 of you out there who still come around to see what the crazy lady is saying lately. I'm calling it Movie Madness Monday.

Each Monday I will pick a movie and sprinkle in a few of my favorite quotes. You then stop your damn lurking and contribute a quote of your own, from the same movie, if possible. I will not tell you the name of the movie until Wednesday. Now, you could cheat and type the quotes into a search engine, but that would be no fun.

I will start off easy, since this is the inaugural edition.

"We'll never survive."
"Nonsense, you're only saying that because no one ever has."

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."

"Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery, forever."

Wednesday Update: The movie is: The Princess Bride!

If you have not seen this one, you simply must run --RUN-- to the nearest video store and grab yourself a copy. For some reason, teachers seem to be especially fond of this film. What's it got?

The Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
The Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
The Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.

You can still contribute quotes-- it's been great fun so far!


Let the games begin!

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At 2/20/06, 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her:What about the ROUS's?
Him:Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist

 
At 2/20/06, 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women.

:-))))
I recognized the 'ears' quote but had to have help from DH and eldest son to track it down.

 
At 2/20/06, 8:52 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Young boy: Hold it, hold it. What is this? Are you trying to trick me? Where's the sports? Is this a kissing book?
Grandpa: Wait, just wait.
Young boy: Well, when does it get good?

 
At 2/20/06, 9:32 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"I don't think my way is very sportsmanlike."

"I'm not a witch- I'm your WIFE!"

 
At 2/20/06, 10:08 PM, Blogger dan said...

"They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder."

 
At 2/21/06, 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to contribute, but I've got no idea what movie you're talking about...

 
At 2/21/06, 1:29 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Yay! Good one. Here we go:

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."

Also, the first one that came to my mind: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

 
At 2/21/06, 7:18 AM, Blogger graycie said...

Aaaargh! This tickles my memory -- but I can't, quite, nail it down -- Somehow it sounds like two different films -- aaaargh!

(Love, love, love the idea, though. Great game!)

 
At 2/21/06, 8:01 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Mawwage."
"Mawwage is wut bwings us tegevvah today. Mawwage-- dat BWESSed awwangemen'-- Dat DWEAM wivvin a DWEAM!"

 
At 2/21/06, 7:34 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

I have no idea what movie your quotes are from.....I usually don't pay too much attention to such things as evidenced by these movie quotes:

Are you feeling lucky, punk ?

May the force be with you !

Go ahead, MAKE my day !

*&^%$* VC DON'T SURF !

HERE'S JOHNNY !


( Ms. C. ...Why don't you get haloscan for comments....this one on blogger is a PIA......

 
At 2/21/06, 8:28 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Pal o' mine:
How do I get haloscan???
Now remember that I am the mother of three kids under twelve plus a three prep teacher plus a blogger. If I can I will, but tell me how at Head_Ape at hotmail dot youknowwhat

And your quotes are from Dirty Harry, Star Wars IV, Dirty Harry again, Apocalypse Now, and non-movie entry The Tonight Show as well as movie entry The Shining-- ooh Jack Nicholson! Creepy!

Muriel, Graycie, and Polski, here's a hint:

Peter Falk played the Grandpa. Fred Savage played the boy, and then there was Mandy Patinkin and Billy Crystal and Carol Kane....

 
At 2/21/06, 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are some of my favorite lines ...

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die."

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."

"And you: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed in Greenland!"

"The King's stinking son fired me, and thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"

- Bill -

PS: I would have thought that your first movie would have been Planet of the Apes.

 
At 2/21/06, 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how could I forget this one ...

"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours. "

 
At 2/21/06, 10:14 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Okay, now, who's officially freaked out now?

"Gently! GENTLY!!!! --UNH.--"

 
At 2/21/06, 11:45 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"No more rhyming now, I mean it!"

 
At 2/21/06, 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anybody want a peanut?"

 
At 2/22/06, 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

 
At 2/23/06, 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

 
At 2/23/06, 9:43 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

You talking about PRINCESS BRIDE ?

Good flick. In fact, I have an OBEY poster (featuring Shepard Farley's OBEY image of Andre the Giant). Its in my timeout corner.

As for haloscan, IIRC, you can just go to their website and follow the simple directions. I think it was almost automatic. I am not a techie either.....Its mostly magic to me.....

 
At 2/24/06, 8:12 PM, Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

"Have fun storming the castle!"

 
At 2/28/06, 12:43 AM, Blogger r said...

"And, as everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, so you certainly would put the poison in front of me."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics