A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, November 11, 2005

Thank You to All Veterans


My father and my uncle were in the Navy during World War II. My other uncle was in the Navy during the Korean War. My cousin was in the Coast Guard. We landlocked prairie types seem to really like the water.

I want to thank all those who have served or who are serving our country for their willingness to sacrifice on my behalf. All of our freedoms are, in the beginning, dependent upon you.

Update: Edwonk has a lovely post about Veterans Day over at his place, and he and MamacitaG include a copy of one of my favorite poems regarding the consequences of war, "In Flanders' Fields." I read this to my students every year when we talk about Armistice Day, which is what Veterans Day used to be called.

1 Comments:

At 11/12/05, 9:46 AM, Blogger Fred said...

You said it perfectly. Thanks to all our heroes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics