A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Carnival of Education #38 is on the deck!

The Edwonks have done it again-- the Carnival of Education is all lit up in neon to lure one and all. Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends!

Apparently, I was not the only one with math on my mind last week, as Kitchen Table Math discusses the math gap between our country and everywhere else in the world, and Scholar's Notebook discusses the success or failure rate of something called Integrated Math. Then Mr. McNamar at The Daily Grind who is obviously a kindred spirit (read fellow meanie) who talks about kids not ready for his 9th grade math class. Ruminating Dude takes on why math skills are dragging down kids in his AP chemistry class.

Great minds, and all that. Check it out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10/30/05, 7:07 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Off I go....

 
At 10/30/05, 4:45 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Fred! How goes the AP?

 
At 10/30/05, 8:19 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Interesting, thanks for asking. The former AP teacher gave me all his lesson plans (He's a great guy!), so I'm teaching it as though he were still there. It's a very different style, but I want to continue it for two reasons:

1. Less interruption in learning for the students.

2. Maybe I'll learn something.

And, as it turns out, I have picked up a few things that I'm going to use in my other AP classes.

Next semester, I'll make all the major changes. It's a great class (17 students) that I really think most can pass the AP exam. (Fingers crossed..)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics