A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thursday Thirteen Number 8: After a long hiatus, thirteen authors for whom I am thankful

Okay, so I started doing this thing a while back, and then they cancelled it for a while, so I was afraid I was the Kiss of Death to it. But here goes again......


Thirteen AUTHORS I LOVE


1. P.G. Wodehouse. He maketh my heart laugh as a hart pants for cooling streams. I want my own Jeeves to keep me from my own stupidity. This stuff is laugh-out-loud hilarious! Can lift the vilest mood.

2. Robert A. Heinlein. Even if he was sometimes a tad misogynistic, I still loved him. I think I have read everything he ever wrote. Of course, I'm like that.

3. J. K. Rowling. Please. I don't have to explain, do I?

4. Barbara Brown Taylor. Her sermons have helped me immensely. She is an Episcopal priest who is now a college professor. I wouldn't have made it through preaching class without her.

5. J. R. R. Tolkien. Unbelievable! Although the Silmarillion was not always so thrilling, I loved The Hobbit when I first read it at the age of nine.

6. C. S. Lewis. I am currently trying to get through all of his works. A Grief Observed helped me so much when my Dad died.

7. Eudora Welty. Another one who can make me laugh at any time. "Why I Live at the P.O." is just like my family, sadly.

8. John Steinbeck. Sweet Thursday and Cannery Row are enough. Then there's The Grapes of Wrath.

9. Harper Lee. Who cares if it's only one book? WHAT a book it was!

10. Angie Debo. She taught me so much about history and influenced me so much in my studies.

11. Thomas Merton. Not so fond of the Seven Storey Mountain-- he was a bit too strident there-- but his work in Contemplative Prayer and Life and Holiness were really useful. He died all too soon-- he was just getting to the really good stuff before his untimely end.

12. Jane Kenyon. Incredibly true poetry. It could have been otherwise.

13. Howard Nemerov. I once got to hear him speak at my husband's commencement. He was funny and erudite and joyful. Another great American poet.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8/2/07, 7:48 PM, Blogger Mike in Texas said...

Heinlein was always hit or miss for me, but when I liked him I REALLY liked him.

The Door Into Summer was my favorite

 
At 8/2/07, 8:35 PM, Blogger DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

I don't think there's anyone on the list I'd disagree with... which is a first... but MAN I could add to it. (My name is Matthew and I'm a book-a-holic!)

 
At 8/3/07, 12:55 AM, Blogger *Rae* said...

I enjoyed your list I always love knowing what other people enjoy reading

 
At 8/3/07, 1:04 PM, Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Have you read Barbara Brown Taylor's Leaving Church? It has become my new Bible.

LOL

 
At 8/3/07, 2:27 PM, Blogger ms. whatsit said...

Oh, I just have to share some of my favorite authors that didn't make your list.

Flannery O'Connor
Paulo Coelho
Margaret George
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Erma Bombeck
Anne Rice
Diana Gabaldan
Phillip Pullman
Emily Dickenson
Jhumpa Lahiri

 
At 8/4/07, 8:38 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Yes, the problem was definitely limiting myself to 13, as I too am a bookaholic.

As to Leaving Church, nice bit of irony, there, CTG!

I would have to say that my favorite Heinlein was Time Enough for Love.

Have to say I don't really care for Anne Rice.

 
At 8/5/07, 9:20 AM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Oh goodness, another fan of Wodehouse!!! I love his stuff!!! Never fails to make me giggle.

Another series that is similar (Brit humor and the upper crust) are the Flashman books. Hard to explain them, but they are a riot (although they tend to be a bit bawdy at times). The author is McDonald Fraser, if I remember correctly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics