A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Idiot of the day report

Apparently common sense isn't a requirement to get into Yale, these days. Get a load of this one:
Three Yale University students, including a Briton and a Greek national, have been charged in a case involving the burning of a U.S. flag outside a Connecticut house, a court official said on Wednesday.

Said Hyder Akbar, 23, Nikolaos Angelopoulos, 19, and Farhad Anklesaria, 19, were arrested on Tuesday and charged in New Haven Superior Court with reckless endangerment, arson, breach of peace, criminal mischief and other offenses.

Police said the three torched a flag hanging from the porch of a house in New Haven near the Ivy League school.

Anklesaria is British and Angelopoulos is Greek. Both are freshmen. Akbar, a senior, was born in Pakistan but is a U.S. citizen, according to police and court documents. Anklesaria and Angelopoulos turned over their passports.


They later appeared in court in leg irons and handcuffs, which is really a bit over the top for the idiotic thing they did. They set a flag that was someone else's property on fire. They also set it on fire while it was attached to someone else's house.

What a bunch of morons! They are lucky the homeowner didn't come out to protect his property, and they are lucky they did not set the house on fire.

And, honestly, I'm not too sure I am thrilled with the idea of these guys enjoying the hospitality of my country as guests and then burning the flag either. I am sure I have several students who have more common sense who received rejection letters this week postmarked "New Haven, CT."

Okay, now I believe in freedom of speech. I do. I personally would be irritated and even angry about someone burning a US flag in my presence, but American citizens have a right to do it. As long as they are ready to hear some angry speech right back at them while they do it.

However!

If someone comes up and burns MY flag hanging on the side of my very flammable HOUSE that is filled with my very precious children, dogs, and belongings, then baby, you'd better be ready to find out if this fat lady can catch you.

I bet I could.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 4/4/07, 6:23 PM, Blogger Laura(southernxyl) said...

The fact that the flag was attached to someone else's house is what keeps the leg irons and handcuffs from being over the top. We're not really talking flag burning here, we're talking arson.

 
At 4/4/07, 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm for free speech also, and I find that in many cases the burning of the flag (any flag) is an excellent way of reflecting on a) the protest itself, b) the purpose of the protest, c) the effectiveness of the protest, in this case I whole-heartedly agree with you...

To burn someone else's personal property which is being displayed within the confines of their personal property, and cause the potential for harm of the inhabitants, is irresponsible and juvenile behavior which, in my opinion, cannot in any way be equated with freedom of speech, nor effective or thought-provoking protest.

 
At 4/4/07, 9:02 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

IMO, if convicted of any criminal felony, their student (or whatever) visa should immediately be revoked, they do their time in a US institution for convicted criminals, and upon release from prison, they are immediately sent home and labeled "persona non grata". Let them vacation in Syria, Iran or the Sudan.

What would happen to an American convicted of arson by burned a Greek flag flying from the home of a Greek citizen in Greece ?

 
At 4/5/07, 2:02 PM, Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Here's another fat lady who would make these moron's lives miserable if I caught them. Hell, I don't even like strangers in my yard, let alone close enough to my porch to burn MY flags (yes, there's more than one...hubby and I collect flags). I have seventh grader with more common sense than these twerps.

 
At 4/5/07, 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can only hope that these idiots won't let the screen door whack them in the nether regions on their way out of the country to whichever theocratic hellhole they find superior to the Great Satan.

 
At 4/6/07, 11:09 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

BTW-- you burn the flag in Saudi Arabia, it's against the law, since the shahada is written on it. In fact, you can't even put the Saudi flag on a football (that's "soccer ball" to you and me) because then the shahada would be kicked.

Denmark allows you to burn their flag, but no one else's.

And so on....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics