Here's one teacher who's very thankful
From Kennett, MO (Sheryl Crow's hometown!) comes this great story:
Tiletia Copley must be a pretty good teacher — a quick lesson she conveyed while choking helped save her life.
Copley teaches physical education and health at Kennett Middle School in the Missouri Bootheel area. On Nov. 15, she was drinking coffee when it went down the wrong way, the Kennett Daily Dunklin Democrat newspaper reported. The coughing soon gave way to gasping as something lodged in her throat.
"I knew what was happening," Copley said, "and I was not too scared initially. But within a few seconds I could not breathe."
Unable to dislodge the item, Copley walked into the school hallway and encountered 13-year-old Amanda Rinks, a seventh-grader. Though unable to speak, Copley took Rinks' arms and put them in the position to do the Heimlich maneuver.
Rinks, who had learned the Heimlich from her mother, figured out what the teacher was directing her to do. After a few attempts, she was able to dislodge the item from Copley's throat.
"It was a little scary," Rinks said. "I just did it."
How many of us would be able to calmly walk into a hallway while unable to breathe?
Thank God that young lady was in the hallway at the time, since Copley couldn't call out for help. Having been certified in first aid since I was 12, I think it's a great idea to find some point throughout the year to cover the sign to make when choking, what to do if you see someone choking, and other quick tips. Amanda is to be commended for keeping calm, realizing what the problem was, and getting the job done. Never underestimate a student!