A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sympathy for a Friend

Our beloved Ramblin' Educat lost her father after a long struggle in intensive care last Tuesday. From all that our dear Educat has written, he seemed a wonderful father with a joy in his family.

I hope that she will be comforted by this poem, which I hope has special meaning for her.

Song IX

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message, "He is Dead."
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-- W. H. Auden

Please stop by the Educat's place if you get the chance. She is a rare gem.

4 Comments:

At 7/3/06, 11:53 PM, Blogger EHT said...

My mother has been in a nursing home for almost 4 years----she has recently stopped eating. I couldn't help but think of Educat today as I contemplated what might be next for me. I also remembered your parent's passing a few months ago It's not easy becoming the "go to" generation in your family where you are the responsible one. I appreciate you placing that poem here. It is one my absolute all time favorites. One of my most favorite movies is Four Weddings and A Funeral....it is a touching moment when that poem is read in the movie. Thanks!

 
At 7/4/06, 12:54 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

God bless you and your mother.

I heard "Amazing Grace" in church in Sunday while I was acolyting and quietly got teary. It was one of the songs I sang to my Dad his last few days, and my mother wanted me to sing and play it at my Dad's funeral (which never happened, long story).

Educat loves that movie. And I think she is a dear person. I love this poem too. My heart aches for her.

 
At 7/4/06, 1:56 PM, Blogger educat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/4/06, 1:56 PM, Blogger educat said...

You know how I feel about you, that movie, and my dad. There is too much to say. Thank you, thanks so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics