A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Ahh, memories of my childhood! It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was just on, and I was blogging watched all of it. And of course, I thought of a metaphor: teachers are like Linus, waiting out in the pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin to come along.

My Great Pumpkin is the day when we are given the tools to do our jobs, when students are told that education is the priority by our society and by their families, when politicians behave as though education, culture, and civic virtue are the most important priorities that society can bestow upon its citizens. I don't need all kids to speak English, I don't need all kids to be angels or geniuses-- I'll take all comers if we just had these three things.

What's your Great Pumpkin? I hope it rises up to meet you, and we get to leave the "if onlies" behind.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10/26/05, 12:27 AM, Blogger EdWonk said...

Boy that Great Pumpkin Thing can be analyzed at so many different psychological levels. For me, it's Freud's Wish Fulfillment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics