A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, March 27, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: the New Wave

It's time for Movie Madness Monday! Step right up and see if your taste in cinema is as low-brow and trivial as mine!

Here is the basic outline: each Monday I will pick a movie and sprinkle in a few of my favorite quotes. You then stop your damn lurking and contribute a quote of your own, from the same movie, if possible. I will not tell you the name of the movie until Wednesday. Now, you could cheat and type the quotes into a search engine, but that would be no fun. I would especially like to see if my visitors from Japan, New Zealand, Newfoundland, Mexico, the UK, or France know anything about this movie.

I am in mourning over the end of spring break, so before I tear up, let's go!


“Donger's here for five hours, and he's got somebody. I live here my whole life, and I'm like a disease.”

“She's got her period. Should be an interesting honeymoon, huh?”
“Where do you kids learn all this stuff?”
“School.”
“Good, I'm getting my money's worth.”

“I think you're just acting selfish and immature.”
“Oh yes-- that's it! That's exactly it!”
“I can't believe it. You make someone a bridesmaid and they shit all over you.”

“This is Farmer Fred.”
“Ted.”
“Oh, I'm sorry, Farmer Ted.”
“I'm not really a farmer. I'm a freshman.”

“What was he wearing? Well, uh, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes.” Pause. “What?! No, he's not retarded!”

“Relax, would you? We have seventy dollars and a pair of girls' underpants. We're safe as kittens."


****Wednesday Update, I day late because I drove my automobile into lake--rilly, rilly big lake! Splooooooosh!!!
Sixteen Candles! What does every girl want for her birthday but a cute rich guy in a Porsche?

What's scary is that high school is still so much the same. Keep those quotes coming!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 3/27/06, 7:49 AM, Blogger Amerloc said...

"You're in the parking lot from my church."

"You own a church?"

Lotsa lines that were funnier in the movie than they are without context...

 
At 3/27/06, 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a quiche.
How do you spell?
Well you don't spell it, son, you eat it.

 
At 3/27/06, 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just say this: it's a way better movie than the very emo "The Breakfast Club" in my opinion. ;-)

(Oh, and this is off-topic, but while I'm thinking of it: did you get to hear the new album by a UK band called Arctic Monkeys? I just caught them live last night and they were phenomenal.)

 
At 3/27/06, 5:15 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Mr. Lawrence: Yes, what I have heard, I like. I'm also heavily into Andrew Bird and sigur ros at the moment. How lucky for you to get out to a show! I'm jealous!

"No more yanky my wanky, the Donger need food!"

 
At 3/27/06, 5:51 PM, Blogger Smithie said...

By night's end, I predict me and her will interface.

 
At 3/27/06, 6:25 PM, Blogger 100 Farmers said...

She marry oily bohunk.
Marry?
MARRY!

 
At 3/28/06, 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up."

That scene scares me more than most horror flicks of the time.

 
At 3/28/06, 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz here from I Speak of Dreamsnot a clue....but I'm older'n dirt.

off topic: thanks for the thoughtful post on Scott McConnell. What got my goat was his attitude about kids with LDs (says the mom of an LD kid, who has to wade through those attitudes from time to time).

 
At 3/29/06, 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>off topic: thanks for the thoughtful post on Scott McConnell. What got my goat was his attitude about kids with LDs (says the mom of an LD kid, who has to wade through those attitudes from time to time).<<

Went off to find this post!
(also mom of LD kiddo)

 
At 3/29/06, 9:42 PM, Blogger kontan said...

HA! I just saw this movie for the first time last week!!! close your mouth it isn't THAT shocking!

"Donger's here for five hours, and he's got somebody. I live here my whole life, and I'm like a disease."


btw mr. lawrence, I love the breakfast club!

 
At 3/30/06, 6:16 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Kontan, you shock me! This is a classic!

What's next-- have you seen Animal House? That's a great one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics