A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Go down, Moses

I love being a member of the Episcopal Church. We belong to a church that is very diverse, very spiritual, full of caring individuals.

In addition to the main hymnal, we have alternative collections of songs. I believe these enrich the worship experience. One of them is a hymnal of tradition and African-American songs entitled Lift Every Voice and Sing.

But today in church, one of the selections from that hymnal nearly had me fleeing out the door so I wouldn't make a spectacle of myself.

See, sometimes, when you're a person who loves parodies, your sense of humor can be quirked at the oddest of times. You know what I'm talking about, I'm sure. Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd have forever ruined Wagnerian opera for me. If you're a Christine Lavin fan, you'll never be able to listen to the Pachelbel Canon ever again. If you like Cheryl Wheeler, there's her take on the Mexican Hat Dance which is just absolutely perfect. The Chenille Sisters' version of Blowin' in the Wind is priceless.

And you know I love movies, especially 80s comedies. So guess which hymn we sang in church today? The lyrics running through my head related to the following as an overpowering urge:

AHHHHHH!!!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 3/11/07, 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, MAN! The clip cut off one of the best lines in the whole film!! To whit:

"Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond. "

Love it! (and I'm not sure I'd have been able to hold it together, either. It would have required some fortitude on my part, as I imagine it did on yours...)

 
At 3/11/07, 6:32 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

You have me thinking of Mary Tyler Moore at Chuckles the Clown's funeral.

 
At 3/11/07, 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kill the wabbit; kill the wabbit!

 
At 3/11/07, 6:55 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

MrsChili: Tears arose in my eyes. I will admit to singing the chorus just once....

NYC-- I actually vividly remember that episode. Does that make me old?

Mike: Thanks for planting that earworm, pal. But that was exactly what I was talking about-- and don't forget the Rabbit of Seville....

 
At 3/12/07, 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old does John Hughes have to be before he gets his lifetime achievement Oscar?

 
At 3/12/07, 9:16 AM, Blogger Kris said...

"We ate pancreas!"

 
At 3/12/07, 3:59 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

But how could you enjoy it?

And I agree abot John Hughes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics