A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Compulsive? ME? No, no, no....

Now, HERE we go-- a book meme! Picked this up over at Mister Teacher's place. How would YOU do? 'Cause I'm throwin' DOWN!

*Look at the list of books below.
*Bold the ones you’ve read.
*Italicize the ones you want to read.
*Leave blank the ones that you aren’t interested in.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) -- it was entertaining, but-- it's FICTION, people! Jeez!
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) I LOVED it! And the recent film was great, too.
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)-- This is probably one of my favorite books ever. It is poetry and a call to action, all at once. Also a great film.
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) A bit overwrought, I thought.
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien) OHMYGOSH, YES!
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien) How could you not be completely...
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)... swept away by this world?
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling) Once again, I want to be Professor McGonagall.
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) Ehh.
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling) I loved this, but Goblet was my favorite.
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) I went through a real John Irving phase in college. Can't say I've ever read his stuff since.
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) Interesting.
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling) The original one that got us all addicted!
17. Fall on Your Knees(Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King) Not so much on the Stephen King, I'm afraid.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling) Genius!
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) What can I say? I was an English major.
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien) In college, I had a little brown Triumph Spitfire. It was named Frodo. Need I say more?
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) I am not a fan of this book. If I was near Holden Caulfield, I'd kick his behind. Hard.
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)-- I cannot make myself read a book about a little girl being murdered. I'm sure it's a great book, but no.
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel) Read it last summer!
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) -- Always bring a towel! Oh no, not again! Words of wisdom for every situation. I used to be able to quote whiole chunks of this. I'm sure you're surprised by that. The film was a tremendous disappointment.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) -- One of the few books-- along with the Ox-Bow Incident-- that my daddy specifically asked me to read. Great song by Kate Bush covered by Pat Benatar, too.
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) Lewis was a genius. I also love his more overtly religious works.
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) A great novel, although I especially love Steinbeck's humorous works.
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom) Great message here.
31. Dune (Frank Herbert) I read all the Dune books in Jr. High. I am really a fan of scifi and fantasy.
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)-- Ummmmm, no.
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) It was okay. I liked Anthem better.
34. 1984 (Orwell) Must be read alongside Brave New World.
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) I took an entire course in college on Arthurian Lit. It was wonderful!
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb) Oprah may like dis guy, but I mourn the hours I spent reading this and She's Come Undone. Pbbbbth.
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel) Not so fascinated with this one.
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) I have not finished this one yet....
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) He does have a thing about dying, but this was good too.
45. Bible-- Yes, I have read the whole thing. Including Apocrypha.
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) That Comparative Lit class I took in college? This was fine, but Sir Walter Scott? Shudder....
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt) A fantastic story.
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) What? I AM an Okie, after all, and SMILE when you say that!
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) This is absolute dreck. I hated it. See comment to #38 above.
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver) I read half of it, then lost the book on vacation.
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling) I love the wordplay in these books. She deserves every penny she'd earned from these.
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough) Ay yi yi. What an idiot Father Ralph was.
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood) This one was great.
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) I have some sort of block with the Russians....
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) Boy, her politics were interesting.
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) I worked in a bookstore when this was all trendy. No thanks.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) Didn't care for this one.
69. Les Miserables (Hugo) I actually taught this one while student teaching.
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) One of the first books I remember my mom reading to me.
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding) Funny and pathetic, but mostly funny. Bridget was harder on herself than I am on myself.
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell) In Jr. High we went to visit Japan, and I loved all things Japanese. I even watched the miniseries.
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) Another book my mom read to me.
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) Read it in 7th grade English class.
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving) Part of my Irving kick in college. I hated the car wreck in the driveway.
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) I have read every bit of Steinbeck. One of my favorites.
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen) Loved it.
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams) High School, my junior Year English teacher gave me this one.
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) Playstation and American Idol is Soma. Must be read alongside 1984.
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) Disturbing.
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) There is NO WAY you could go to junior high in Tulsa and not read this, Rumble Fish, and That Was Then, This is Now. Susan Hinton is from Tulsa. A lot of my friends were extras in the movies.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield) Sad to say, I'll never get those ten minutes back. That must have been some powerful dope.
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)-- How did I actually manage to get out of TU's English Dept. without reading this? It was HARD WORK, let me tell you, but I did it. And it was worth it. I read the first fifty pages and my eyes hurt from rolling them so many times. Petentious, painfully self-important scheisse.
101. Jurassic Park
102. Learn Me Good

Whoa! Sixty! It's amazing I have any other hobbies, but I promise I did other things besides read.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 3/12/07, 10:56 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Hey come on, how can you copy it from MY blog, and then leave MY book off of it???????
:(

 
At 3/12/07, 11:05 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Did I? I'm sorry! I'll fix it, since none of the boldfaces showed up either.....

 
At 3/12/07, 11:19 PM, Blogger ms-teacher said...

I also did this meme. I've read about half, which I think is pretty good considering I wasn't an English major!

 
At 3/13/07, 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms C, when you say you have read the whole Bible, including the Apocrypha, do you mean the Catholic (7 books and a little more) and the Orthodox (5 books and a little more) Apocrypha? I noticed that Americans tend to mean only the Catholic additions only. However, from a Protestant perspective (which I presume you are) it makes no sense whatsoever to distiguish between these two groups of books (they were all in the LXX, and none in the Masonic Texts).

Also, I find the name "apocrypha" quite misleading. How exactly are they more or less fake than the rest of the OT?

 
At 3/13/07, 12:38 PM, Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Aaah, that's much better. Thank you, Ms. C.

 
At 3/13/07, 2:49 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

oxeador, I have read a lot of texts which are not accepted fully as canonical, while I am not as conversant with Orthodox apocrypha as Catholic apocrypha, and I do not mean that word in a pejorative sense, either. I am in particular referring to Sirach, I and II Maccabees, Wisdom, Bel and the Dragon, and so on, as well as the Gospel of Thomas, the Book of Jubilees, I and II Clement, Shepherd of Hermas, the Gospel of Judas, and so on.

 
At 3/13/07, 3:36 PM, Blogger Karla Robinson said...

Um, sorry, but *I* am Professor McGonagall. Me me me. I dream about her all the time. I just need to perfect my Scottish brogue.

 
At 3/13/07, 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying, Ms C. I suppose it makes sense, given how few Orthodox there are in America, that Americans are only familiar with Protestant and Catholic canons.

This is just a favourite topic of mine, how the different canons (is that the right plural?) were decided and evolved.

 
At 3/13/07, 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't read Fifth Business and don't even want to? Shameful.

 
At 3/14/07, 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you m-u-s-t read the time traveller's wife. very cool. : )

 
At 3/15/07, 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien) I have three different editions of the LOTR.
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees(Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King) Scared the living hell out of me!!!
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) Laughed until I couldn't draw breath.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert) Loved it, still use the litany against fear when they draw blood from me.
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)-- Ummmmm, no.
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) It was fair.
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. Bible—Liked psalms best, but it must be in KJV, any of the "modern" versions are anathema.
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck) Required in high school.
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) I liked Bleak House better.
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) Okay, but he telegraphed the ending.
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) Okay, I thought Gatsby was a chump.
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) Boy, her private life was way odd.
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) Liked the Mummy better.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller) Read it when I was twelve and thought it was a very odd war novel. Unlike Thin Red Line.
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell) Liked it and TaiPan, did not like King Rat.
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White) Teacher read it to us in third grade.
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) Required in college.
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams) I still tell stories of the Prince with a Thousand Enemies, to the kids and now to the granddaughter..
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) Eck. Required book.
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum) Okay thriller.
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)—Very, very good. I read it once a year.
.101. Jurassic Park Okay, liked the Great Railway Robbery better.
102. Learn Me Good


103 Little, Big. (Crowley) Excellent recasting of western faery mythos…fun to read too.
104 Drawing the Dark. (Powers) The defense of Vennia and life extension linked to DARK beer.
105 Just So Stories (Kipling) I read them to all the kids, now the grand kids are getting them with their milk.

 
At 3/15/07, 8:17 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I do not know anything about Fifth Business. 'Splain, please!

oxeador, I am reading as fast as I can. And I agree with you about the process. Crazy!

Karla with a K: "Expelliarmus!" I now have you at my mercy. I am McGonagall. How about Madame Pomfrey, though? No? How about Hermione? She is the brightest witch of her age....

 
At 3/15/07, 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not read a single Harry Potter book because I vowed never to read them until after I'd seen every single movie. I just didn't want to jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon. Plus, I'm really enjoying the films, especially the last two, and I don't want to ruin that experience by reading the books and spoiling what happens or sitting through the movie thinking about what the filmmakers messed up.

That said, I need to print out this list and highlight any books I haven't read. This list is pretty good.

 
At 3/15/07, 11:59 PM, Blogger Mrs. T said...

I am such a book geek- I love the book memes. Have seen this one several times, so it is now time for me to copy and post on my blog.

 
At 3/19/07, 5:52 PM, Blogger Ms. George said...

I seemed to have similar troubles when I went to post my cut-and-pasted list. Ah well.
On Tuesday, I'm going to post another 102 books that were not on the first list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics