A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oh, THAT explains it!

So I have figured it out. I overheard a bunch of freshman girls talking about me in the hallway before school. I was in the workroom working, and they didn't realize that they were talking loudly.

Girl 1: Ms. Cornelius scares me!
Girl 2: Yeah, she's kinda like a guy...

(My head comes up--- "WHA???? Oh NO YOU DIDN'T!" I think....)

Girl 2: Well, you know, because she doesn't act all scared around big groups of loud big guys...

(Oh, NOW I know what she's talking about. There was a loud group of wannabe thugs in the downstairs lobby last week, threatening to duke it out. A kid alerted me and I nonchalantly strolled on over making eye contact with the kids since I had laryngitis and of course there were no administrators around. They all melted away like Lot's wife in a thunderstorm. But still. I am NOT a guy. Just because I don't mince around like Scarlet O'Hara in a corset doesn't mean I'm a guy!)

Girl 1: Yeah, she's a pretty strict principal. She made Rebecca change her miniskirt last week....

(Okay, now I've REALLY been insulted. So later on I ran into another kid who also asked if he could go to my "office" to get a new lanyard for his ID. Sure enough-- he thought I was a principal, too.)

So I very quietly walked up behind them, and when they turned, I smiled sweetly, and really freaked them out. I managed not to laugh till I got around the corner.

The freshmen apparently all think I'm a principal due to cafeteria duty and hall duty-- maybe like a dean of discipline, which we could use, since AP Pleabargain just gave a kid a "stern talking to" instead of consequences after he repeatedly refused to comply with my very gentle request that he stop cursing like Holden Caulfield at the top of his lungs while my class was in session. I certainly don't hang out with the principals-- I'm no toady.

But I don't know which is more insulting: to be a "guy" or be a "principal."

8 Comments:

At 10/31/06, 9:29 PM, Blogger Smithie said...

Principal.

 
At 10/31/06, 10:53 PM, Blogger Dan Edwards said...

So, how can you use this new-found power....for good. Of course, there are advantages to the dark side too....

 
At 11/1/06, 9:29 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I agree with Smithie. Principal.

 
At 11/1/06, 10:19 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Well of course you think principal is worse than guy....

you're ... GUYS.

But I am a mother of three.

And yes, I have already contemplated using my evil powers for good. It's like the One Ring, though....

Just call me Boromir.

 
At 11/2/06, 12:59 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Principal - no question about it.

 
At 11/2/06, 3:42 PM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

The only thing more evil than a principal is a superintendent, but that wasn't one of the choices.

May I write it in?

 
At 11/2/06, 4:39 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

They'll never confuse me with a supe-- I wear jeans too much.

 
At 11/7/06, 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be called a guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics