A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Monday, July 17, 2006

Movie Madness Monday: the 22nd iteration

Ha ha! Hee hee! Ho ho! It is my pleasure to bring you yet another game of Movie Madness Monday, the movie quote trivia fest.

Here's how we play: I give you a few quotes from a movie. You put one of your favorite quotes from the same movie in the comments. We do not reveal the name of the movie until Wednesday. And spread the word to your pals! I always get a kick out of new playmates, especially during the doldrums of summer.

I have a new hope to see the movie geekiness roll off the pages this time. Last week I had people piling on their comments 5 minutes after posting. Let's see how well I do with intriguing you this week....




"Don't you call ME a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease!"

"Here's where the fun begins!"

"That's funny- the damage doesn't look so bad from out here.... Are you sure this thing is safe?"

"You can't win. But there ARE alternatives to fighting."

"Bring 'em on! I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!"

"We're doomed!"

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

"You must do what you think is right, of course."

****Wednesday Update: Of course, the movie is


STAR WARS IV (which used to be I): A New Hope!

You may now go completely wild with the obvious quotes. Y'all were really good about picking the obscure ones. Now feel free to add: "That's no moon, that's a space station!" and so on.

Am I the only person who feels bitterly betrayed by the latest trilogy? I found them to be dead, humorless, and wooden. The scripts lack the humor and repartee of the original three. The acting (Hayden Christiansen covers the gamut from pout to whine quite nicely) is awful. Maybe it's just me-- but after teaching middle school for a thousand years, I think I've heard "It's not fair!" quite enough, thank you. But from Darth Vader? No, it doesn't compute.

There are no scoundrels. There is no laughing in the face of danger. And really, if Queen Amidala is perhaps eight years older than Annikin, why doesn't she act like it? I mean, she ran a planet at 13! You know Carrie Fisher has had a great sideline as a script doctor-- maybe George hould have brought her in.

But this film-- ahhh, now THIS is a classic! Let's all go watch it this weekend. I've got just the TV and I'll even spring for the popcorn.

18 Comments:

At 7/17/06, 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lock the door!
And hope they don't have blasters.

 
At 7/17/06, 8:59 AM, Blogger Coach Brown said...

"We meet again, at last. The
circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

 
At 7/17/06, 9:41 AM, Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Maybe it's another drill.

 
At 7/17/06, 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life."

 
At 7/17/06, 10:32 AM, Blogger Mike in Texas said...

"These are not the droids you're looking for"

 
At 7/17/06, 11:04 AM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Don't try to frighten US with your sorcerer's ways."

 
At 7/17/06, 11:10 AM, Blogger Fred said...

"Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

 
At 7/17/06, 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

"This is some rescue."

"Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her, or I'm beginning to like her."

 
At 7/17/06, 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly I will have to wait till Wednesday, because I have no idea what movie this is.

 
At 7/17/06, 1:16 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

"Where did you dig up that old fossil??!!"

 
At 7/17/06, 3:02 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

I haven't got a clue what film you're talking about. I liked your choice last week, though.

 
At 7/17/06, 3:34 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

 
At 7/17/06, 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Ms.C, that's too obvious. Now you're just giving it away. ; )

 
At 7/17/06, 4:59 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I prefer to think of it as trodding the fine line of hint-giving--I'm trying to be charitable.

"There's something alive in here!"

 
At 7/17/06, 6:39 PM, Blogger mikevotes said...

Howdy,

This is an off topic message so feel free to delete.

I noticed you had linked me, I will happily reciprocate.

Mike

http://bornatthecrestoftheempire.blogspot.com/

 
At 7/17/06, 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Nice. Come on!

 
At 7/18/06, 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny, at first I thought each of these was a quote from someone from Washington, DC:

the first one, Karl Rove to Dennis Hastert
the second one, anyone who contemplates social security reform
the third one, Bush to a staffer on Air Force One when he last flew into Baghdad
the fourth one, John McCain to John Kerry
the fifth one, Bush channeling Reagan
the sixth one, Joe Lieberman
the seventh one refers to those standing in line at an Ann Coulter book signing
the eighth one, is what we wish would come out of Margaret Spellings' mouth...

 
At 7/18/06, 9:58 AM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

The thought of what we wish would come out of Margaret Spellings mouth is eerily nauseating. There's the truth, of course, but that's asking way too much, so the possibilities simply boggle the mind.

I'm glad I wasn't faced with this image before bedtime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics