A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Bubbas and Yankees

Stream- of-consciousness here, as I await parent-teacher conferences tomorrow and the next night:

Shouldn't there be a law against the New York YANKEES having a player named Bubba? And anyone rooting for the Yankees around me gets a BRONX CHEER.

Is "ept" the opposite of "inept?" Why isn't it "inapt?"

Was I hallucinating, or did I hear the district computer diva use the terms "internet alien" and "internet immigrant" with a straight face in our faculty meeting today?

Does anyone know which countries use US dollars as their currency besides the US? I forget...

Who was crazier in the subgroup "People who have held elected office in the US:" Aaron Burr, David Duke, Richard Nixon, or Tom DeLay?

Did I just spend all day today explaining what speculation, inflation and bimetallism mean? Will I ever get those minutes back in my life?

Question to the skinny Gen Xer in left field: How many times do I have to hit it over your head until you learn to back up on the fat old broad? My mitt is older than you.

A sign that I have watched 50 First Dates waaaay too many times: I'm looking at Jason Giambi, remark how he looks kinda chunky, my hubby says, "I think he's finally off the juice," and my elder daughter immediately says, "It's a pwotein thake!"

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10/4/05, 9:28 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Oh, how I dislike conference night. I usually get between 10-12 parents spread out over four hours. I have 160 students.

I hope you have a productive night.

 
At 10/4/05, 9:38 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

No lie. But you can get a lot of watching Grosse Pointe Blank on your laptop-- er, I mean, work-- done during the long hours between visiting souls.....

 
At 10/5/05, 10:47 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Oh dear. I'm a computer diva myself, and I have never heard of either of those terms. Just between us, I think she made them up :)

 
At 10/5/05, 5:07 PM, Blogger Jim Connolly said...

We do conferences during the day, and I still have to, I mean get to see nearly 75 sets of parents over the course of the day.
And I'm with you on the Yankees: Go Red Sox!
BTW: I found your blog today thanks to the Carnival... I like it very much! I've added you to my sidebar.
Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics