A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Let us now praise brave actions...

in Connecticut, where they've filed a lawsuit decrying NCLB as an "unfunded mandate." Way to go, y'all! Basically, they're asking Dubya and his pals to put up, or shut up.

Preferably, the shut up part.

Fork over the cost of say, a bunker-buster bomb, and get out of my way! Oh. but the nattering nabobs of NCLB say, "Throwing MONEY-- filthy lucre, whatever you want to call it-- around won't solve the problem!" Yeah, but it might make sure there are texts in the hands of all kids on the first day of school-- there's a frill for ya. Interesting how money can't solve the problems of education but it can solve the heartache of millionaires who want to use my tax money to help defray the cost of their kids' private school tuition....

How about if I rename my high school after Halliburton? Okay to throw money around there, right?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8/25/05, 9:52 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Hi there,

I'm not a teacher (by profession, that is...though I'd like to think that we are all teachers in some way), but I stumbled upon your blog this morning and found it to be very insightful.

I will be sure to bookmark your site and return often! I'm not a parent, either, so I am probably not qualified to offer many opinions, but I am interested in your topics and thoughts. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics