A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Talk about your Grinchiness!

We rate below pets. Is anyone really surprised?
Of the consumers responding to a survey conducted by the Gap, a mere 8 percent said they planned to exert undue influence on academic outcomes by sucking up to the teacher with a holiday gift.

On the other side of the ledger, 25 percent of the respondents said they intend to place a gift for Rover or Garfield under the Christmas tree or Hanukkah bush.

It's all about priorities.

Why honor self-sacrificing individuals with untold contributions to the intellectual and social development of human kind?

When you have the opportunity to shower gifts upon species that will demonstrate gratitude with a sniff, a scratch, a trip to the litter box or an opportunity for you try out your new pooper scooper?

It's nothing less than a commentary on the decline of Western Civilization.

Not to mention the fortunes of the economic sector dedicated to the manufacture of gifts with variations on the apple theme.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I will admit that I don't get nearly the number of Christmas gifts that I got earlier in my career. But I have to say I had never really thought about it, and let's face it-- I do have all the apple ornaments I could ever use for my tree at home.

Maybe I've just gotten meaner.

2 Comments:

At 12/15/06, 7:48 AM, Blogger MommyProf said...

As a parent (and a teacher), I worry a lot about teacher gifts. I appreciate the teacher as a professional and as a person who doesn't need to be handed a piece of crap that they don't want/need. I also appreciate the need to not appear to be currying favor through holiday gift giving. (As an aside, I have made my own students cry by refusing gifts that are too valuable). This year, Offspring is making brownie mix for her teacher, who has her own kids who probably like brownies. I hear that teachers don't eat goods brought in baked because they see the kids' hygiene habits, so hopefully this is a good compromise. I am also going to enclose a small ($10) gift card to the teacher supply store. I hope I am doing the right thing, but I always wonder.

 
At 12/15/06, 4:42 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Pop works for me. I got my first 12 pack today.

Gummi bears are also great.

Or gift cards to a book store.

But I do not let it influence how I treat kids in class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics