A Shrewdness of Apes

An Okie teacher banished to the Midwest. "Education is not the filling a bucket but the lighting of a fire."-- William Butler Yeats

Friday, March 31, 2006

Ten favorites

My friend Polski3 tagged me with a little meme, and I have been remiss in not getting to it. I've been kind of tired lately, and probably a little sad, but this meme cheers me up, so here goes:

Top ten of my favorite recording artists and two favorite songs, in no particular order. This is really hard, because I am quite addicted to music.

Neil Finn: "The Climber" and "She Will Have Her Way"

Crowded House: "Four Seasons in One Day" and "Kare Kare"

Joni Mitchell: "A Case of You" and "Help Me"

Sarah McLachlan: "Ice" and "Angel"

Stevie Ray Vaughan: "Pride and Joy" and "The House is Rockin'"

Bonnie Raitt: "Angel from Montgomery" and "Stor Mo Chroi" (with the Chieftains)

Aimee Mann: "Cigarettes and Red Vines" and "Jacob Marley's Chain"

Dar Williams: "I Won't Be Your Yoko Ono" and "Playing to the Firmament"

Indigo Girls: "Closer to Fine" and "Crazy Game"

Alison Krauss and Union Station: "New Favorite" and "Oh, Atlanta"

These are songs to which I can actually damage my hearing, even if they're not loud rockin' types. But ten artists was very hard!

Thanks Polski. Now I'm going to tag Mr. Lawrence and k.

9 Comments:

At 3/31/06, 9:09 PM, Blogger Amerloc said...

Thanks for not tagging me. I'd have been hard pressed to come up with ten, and you already used three with Bonnie Raitt, the Indigo Girls, and Alison Krauss. Along with your fine taste in everything else, I love your musical taste as well.

/slurp/

 
At 3/31/06, 10:12 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Why, thanks. But I bet you could have come up with OTHER great ones by them. Just two was hard.

I remembered your reaction the last time, so you were spared.

Great minds share great musical tastes.

 
At 4/1/06, 2:40 PM, Blogger NYC Educator said...

Alison Krauss has got a voice like an angel. She's a good argument for cloning.

 
At 4/1/06, 3:14 PM, Blogger graycie said...

While we are clearly Pirate Sisters and Bazooka-on-the-Car-Roof Commandos, I find that either I recognize and LOVE your selections (only a couple, esp. Alison Kraus), or I have never ever heard of them -- nothing in between. This means that I must rush out (in all of my spare time) and spend copious amounts of money (of which I have lots -- yeah sure) and get the music that you listed of which I have never heard. Maybe a good Spring Break project -- if it ever gets here (2 more weeks, but who's counting?).

 
At 4/1/06, 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.
This is going to take some thinking, look for a post tomorrow sometime!!
:-))))

 
At 4/1/06, 8:30 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Graycie--Try them! You'll love them!!! Spring Break in TWO WEEKS?????
Oh. My. God. Poor you.

Looking forward to it k.

NYC educator-- you are soooooo right. She is a genius. And then there's her fiddle playing. And her crack band.

 
At 4/2/06, 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay!
My selections are up at
www.blogfromthebog.com

Warning! Blatant promotion of the band that lives in my basement!

I tagged graycie and nyc educator.

:-)))

 
At 4/2/06, 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it took longer for me to come up with that list than it does for me to write an everyday blog entry! But it did force me to sort through my endless stacks of CDs, which I've been meaning to do for a while. ;-)

 
At 4/3/06, 10:12 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Michelle, that's a good one too.

Like I said, the problem was to pick just two for each, and to pick just ten artists.

Polski is fiendishly clever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free statistics